Original color important?

Ebola Monkey

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 650 came with a badly dented tank. I received a replacement today that's in MUCH better shape, though not perfect. It's the wrong color though, original was red, new is metallic grey.

The original red side covers are in really good shape.

The bike is in pretty good shape overall, and had been well kept by the PO, who was the original owner. I don't know if I'm going to be able to keep the bike because of financial reasons. If I repaint, does it really matter if I paint the tank the original color? I just think it would be easier to rattlecan the side covers as they don't get gas on them, etc.

Thanks In Advance.

What year is it and how nice is the bike? What price range will you be selling it for?

I'd say if it's a later model bike that someone might buy to chop, the color isn't going to matter. If it's something that someone might buy to keep and ride as is, it might matter that the tank and side covers match and both have a nice finish. Except for restorations, the original color is not all that important. :twocents:

Metalic red plastic side covers that are not severely faded and in great condition are rare. Better to sell them and paint a set that is already faded. or paint the tank. Or as suggested just sell the bike as it is and let the new owner deal with it cause he has different ideas anyway.

Back