overcharging

Moto Militant

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I'm struggling here guys! I've read through the post on overcharging with no luck. My XS650B is overcharging my battery (Shorai Lithiam Iron) battery. I assumed the Rick's Reg/Rec was bad so I replaced it with the Electosport ESR350. The bike still overcharges. I've checked the green brush wire and it does not appear to be grounding as the meter does not buzz. I've also run a jumper wire from the brush to the reg/rec and it does not correct it. I'm running the Pamco ignition and I've attached the reg/rec instructions.

The Yamaha Harness has the following wires.

3 White ran to the 3 white wires on the reg/rec.
Green ran to green on the reg/rec.
Black grounded.
Yellow not in use.
Blue not in use.

The remaining wire on the reg/rec.

Brown ran to key switch.
Red to +battery.
Black to ground.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Attachments

• electrosport-esr350-fitting-instructions.pdf
    66 KB · Views: 258
Check for proper ground wires between engine, frame, and battery - terminal. "bolted together" is not enough for ground circuits. Where did you ground the black wire on the regulator? Also make sure you have a ground wire that goes from frame to headlight, handlebars.

If those ElectroSport instructions are correct in explaining what their wire connections do, then that is the wrong type of regulator for the early 650 (points model) charging system. They claim the green wire is "Switched ground output for the alternator field". You need switched (or "regulated") power output on the green wire for your system. The '80-'83 charging system uses the "switched" or "regulated" ground type regulator. Your older system uses a "regulated" power type regulator.

If that ElectroSport reg/rec really is regulating the ground on the green wire, you may be able to get it to work correctly by doing the nylon screw mod to your brushes.

Thanks guys! I've performed the mod in the following link as suggested by 5twins. It corrected the overcharging issue but now the bike does not want to run right nor appears to be charging. I have yet to ground everything properly like stated in gggGary's comment. I will ground everything good and let you guys know next week the results.
Again thanks for your help on this!

5twins you were correct. The nylon screws corrected the problem! After performing the mod it wouldn't run right and I assumed it was the reg/rec. it was a fouled plug. Still have some other issues I have to correct but I am back on the road thanks to you guys and this forum.

Back