Overdrive 5th gear - Dropping/Slipping Out to Neutral

Yes, straight cut pockets haven't worked for me.

Bottom line though is that the OD gear is history for me. The stock one is going back and staying in.

I'm still struggling though with how it slips out of 5th. The engagement is so positive and I cannot get it into the false neutral without turning the star wheel toward 4th with a little rotation. Prying on the slider does nothing like I've shown above.

Thanks TwoMany!

BTW, I mis-typed but measured right, the thinnest shim is between the slider and 5th so already in the best position for the most engagement.

0.95mm --5th gear -- 1.15mm -- 2nd gear -- end of main shaft -- 0.60mm

Okay got the old 5th gear back in. Shiftdrum inspection showed like new, after all the bike had only 7k miles on it from new with an additional 650miles last year. Got it all back together and it started on the 2nd kick late yesterday afternoon. I took it out for a cold 20 miles this morning around town and no drop outs from 5th and it is running fantastic!! It seems to like the 45degree temps I guess.

Biggest hassle was getting the engine in and out of the frame and no I don't want more practice at it ;-)

So far so good and I hope I haven't cursed it with this post.

Another 50 plus miles today and the bike never dropped out of 5th to false neutral. It is also running fantastically ;-)

Sounds like you may have confirmed the OD 5th "pop out" issue as missing undercutting.

But, other members haven't reported this problem.

Maybe some gears missed this machining step, and got mixed into the parts bin.
Any suggestions for members, on pre-install inspection?

Hi TwoMany,

First recommendation is don't put the OD gear in! I'm either the third or forth member that has had this problem. I'm wondering if anyone has an uninstalled OD gear and if it looks like mine with no indication of undercutting. Pictures of mine are above.

When I first put the gear in, I confirmed that everything shifted properly and went right into gear. When I just disassembled it, it also worked just fine on the bench. My star wheel adjustment is/was right on and the shift drum perfect. As far as I can tell, there is no way to tell if it works except after it is in the running engine and subject to vibration and ill fit due to the lack of undercut, that pops it out to false neutral. So far so good and I'm real pleased right now!!

Not an isolated problem. Just one that is being ignored. Fits the business model. They have long been made aware of the isssue.

Thanks XSTRA for also warning others. You mentioned above that you have been undercutting gears at 3° for some time. Do you offer that as a service or is it too much of a hassle? BTW I'm sticking with my stock gear now.

Not worth it. 1 cutter is only good for a handful of gears. And then comes the polishing. No one will pay the price. Then there's the post. This is a job you do for someone you like - a lot.

Back