PA Title help

littlebill31

Smells of Raw Fuel
Reaction score
I'm looking at a bike and it has, "a good Pennsylvania title". I've heard that they need to be notorized?
Can anyone tell me what I must look for, ask, need to get, ect. about this title so I don't get taken.
Thanks all

When I lived in Oklahoma you had to have your title notarized. There, both parties had to be present to sign the title in front of a notary. Often I would just have someone I know notarize it for me. Don't know if this applies to PA, but this has been my exp.

You just need to transfer the bike to your name at a notary. You used to be able to get the po to sign the back and you could transfer it whenever you felt like it. Now p.a. Wants po and new owner to go to the notary together and transfer the bike and pay the taxes on purchase.

A "good PA title" should be in the seller's name. The two of you go to the notary's office and show driver's license, record the amount sold for (for tax purposes) and the title is transfered to your name. If from another state I'm not sure but a phone call to any notary public should be helpful.

Thanks.
The guy who has it is not the named on the title. I'm not gonna bother with it.
He said it's signed by the seller, but I'm tired of dealing with questionable paperwork.
I love how they say, "It's easy to get it titled", but they won't go do it. Hell, I'll pay the fees. They still won't, lol.

Out of state transfer is not that difficult with PA. If the old title is signed on the back you simply need to take it to a notary and sign your name there. There are a couple easy forms you also need to fill out for the title transfer. Check these links out - http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/fs-toos.pdf. http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/motorVehicleCenter/buying.shtml#oos
The one thing they do need is vin verification - basically someone physically checking and verifying the vin on the neck. Several folks have done this succesfully - call your notary to verify

Is it already notarized by the original seller? If it's signed and notarized and the buyer info is not filled in yet, you shouldn't have any trouble.

Man if you get it and need it notarized i can help you out.
Just Email me I get them done from PA all the time its easy.
There are other states that also want it done too before transfer.
It can be a done in any state doesn't have to be PA. Was it a good deal you were passing up if you don't buy it maybe i would be interested.
Let Me Know

Thanks guys. I found out today that the "buyer" line has been filled out.
Seriously? What are people thinking? He's selling a bike with a title that is not in his name and the "buyer" line is filled out with someone else's name. :cussing:

I fart in his general direction!!

I get bikes that way all the time and have no problem. Some states are a bitch and some are not. I just talked to a guy who turned me on to getting titles from NJ with just the VIN number and get a good title. Only catch is bike has to be older than 1980. So i am doing one this week and see how it works. NJ has no more inspection on bikes and that has made it a little easier to get some stuff done. PA used to give out RECON TITLES but it is almost impossible to get one now. Years ago i did all my bikes in PA and was a one two three and done. You got a new plate and went home and put it on your bike. MSO are getting harder to do also now so i stay away from them. Last year my bike was impounded for a month until they decided to pass it. I ask the trooper how did my bike ride because they keep giving me the BS on the bike why it didn't go threw and when i got it back it had tire were on new tires so i know someone rode it. Just the price you pay when things are not right.Years ago a MSO was as good as a title but not around here.
All PA titles have to be NOTARIZED thats a PA RULE! IN PA NO OUT OF PA YES.
I have done 7 this year.

Delaware inspects everything, any year. Even if it's just a frame you want to title, you have to literally walk it through inspection, they fail it and tell you what it needs and then you can get a title. If the bike does not have a 17 digit VIN stamped on the frame then you have to take it though ATU (Auto Theft Unit) so they can run the numbers. Which is the 3rd Thursday of the month.
My '81 had a clean Jersey title and passed inspection, but the VIN is not 17 digits, which started in '82, and I had to wait 3 weeks to take it through ATU.
Title services? Nope, they have a list of all of them and will check, then run the title number to see what is going on. My buddy had 3 bikes and a truck turned down.
Of course he went to another state and had a friend title it, then "sell" it back to him. But I'm not dealing with that crap.
My other friend lives in Maryland and they check the engine number to make sure it matches the frame. Uhm, '69 Honda, they didn't even come from the factory like that. He had a hell of a time.
States are getting really picky with titles.

Back