Pamco advance locating pin question

ljevans

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm sure it's been mentioned several times but I can't seem to find the answer when searching the forum. My question is do certain years not have the mechanical advance locating pin? my bike is a 1977 and it has the pin. it's too tall but I saw in another thread that you can just file the pin down so the aluminum bushing fits over it correctly. However when I look on youtube and a few other places I see some people installing a pin that came with the pamco kit. So for my bike I imagine the correct thing to do is just file the pin down to the correct size and there's no need to remove/replace it?

I'm sure it's been mentioned several times but I can't seem to find the answer when searching the forum. My question is do certain years not have the mechanical advance locating pin? my bike is a 1977 and it has the pin. it's too tall but I saw in another thread that you can just file the pin down so the aluminum bushing fits over it correctly. However when I look on youtube and a few other places I see some people installing a pin that came with the pamco kit. So for my bike I imagine the correct thing to do is just file the pin down to the correct size and there's no need to remove/replace it?

On my 1978SE, all 3 pins are 7 mm long. Your 1977 likely has the same 7 mm long pins. The latest Pamco aluminum "adapter" needs a 5 mm pin. I used a Dremel tool and cut off wheel to shorten one pin to 5 mm.....................problem solved.

Yes, apparently the Pamco kit comes with 3 of the 5 mm long pins.

Cut or file one pin down to 5 mm, and you're good to go:)

Thank you for the quick reply. Having thought about it more I wonder if the people who are installing the pins in their videos/instructions have purchased a new advance rod as well? That would explain their pins not being installed in the rod to begin with. I think I may have just reasoned myself into a corner lol

Back