PAMCO e-advancer - Cam locating pin 'hole' isn't big enough??? HELP!

pristic

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Got my PAMCO, and the e-advancer yesterday and installed last night.
I found a few issues as I began.
1. When I try to put the locating pin in the cam shaft.
(See step 5 in this link http://www.yamahaxs650.com/Installtion%20of%20E-Advancer.htm
The hole is too SMALL ... in there there was just a cut off part of an allen key (hex) but its loose... however the locating pin just wont fit in there ... are they all the same size? If I take the pin out of the advance rod, and try that it doesnt fit (same prob, hole is slightly too small - too small to even line up and tap in)

2. The e-advancer washers, etc. When I follow the instructions, I put on one slotted washer, then the Copper Replacement then one more slotted washer and then flat washer. Then I am to put on the spring washer and nut. I fint that the e-advancer parts are flush and look nice and perfect for fit, but then I put on the spring washer and I cant really put the nut on... like I dont have enough threads :(
I cant use different washers on the e-advancer - its lined up correctly... I guess I could try a thinner spring washer maybe? I dont know.
Can someone measure (or if you know) the length of the thread on the advance side of the advance rod please. I am thinking maybe mine has been cut/snapped or something by a PO ??

Thanks,
Peter

pristic,

Try installing the washers and copper thingme first on the advance side of the advance rod before you insert it into the camshaft.

The pin is a very tight fit. Try again...

Thanks Pete! Ill do that tonight. Ill pull the rod out again and do advance side first properly.

I just wasnt sure on the pin how 'tight' it was meant to be and didn't want to damage things by forcing it.

PS: Sexy looking kit mate - I love it :)
One piece of feedback though - on the PAMCO wire, maybe include a black sheath with it... just to keep it even sexier :)

Cheers,
Peter

Hold the phone!
I just looked at the pictures on your site again... 150% my thread is shorter. I have approx 2 or 3 threads on the advance side. Must have been a dodgey PO or something.

LUCKILY I bought a new advance rod with my MikesXS order lol... hoping itll be ok when it gets here (today)

Cheers,
Peter

pristic,

I just knew it would all come together somehow...:thumbsup:....there was a reason for you to buy that advance rod, even though you didn't need it! :D

Hah, yeah pete for sure...
I got it last night. Had a quick look and my advance rod thread on the advance side is much shorter (looks like it was cut or snapped off... so definately that was part of the issue.

Will have a crack at it tonight or tomorrow and see how it goes.

Yay.

Back