Pamco e-advancer problems

Zombieki11a

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the wiring all finished and the bike started a few times but the timing pin kept falling out. Tightened it down real good and then the first pic happened. The copper cap bent. I've already ordered a new one off of pamco pete's web site which I believe is one of the new ally ones. My question is will this solve my problem or is it stemming from other problems? Still waiting on the new seat too.

Attachments

• IMG_20140530_200624.jpg
    IMG_20140530_200624.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_20140530_200437.jpg
    IMG_20140530_200437.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_20140530_200454.jpg
    IMG_20140530_200454.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 210
Nah I had the same problem - the copper cap allows the timing to step out and once you get that right it'll be fine.

This thread should not be labeled as "Pamco e-advancer problems". It should be labeled as "My poor mechanical skills".

Maybe I'm wrong, but I suspect you did not use a proper torque wrench to tighten the bolts on each end of the advancer rod to 7 ft-lbs/84 in-lbs. Did you use lock washers under each nut?

A little blue lock-tite on each thread could also be used.

Zombie...,

Your new aluminum cap is on its way. Please review the installation instructions as the new cap installs differently than the copper cap and the special washers are not used.

Thanks pete. And retired gentleman you should probably get a new screen name. First I used a torque wrench to tighten everything and installed it the way that was shown on the website. This is my first time working with a motorcycle so I'm sure I did something wrong. Sorry i didn't title it "I'm new at this and i want people to tell me how much i suck". Pete I meant no offense to your ignition. Its amazing. Thanks again Pete!

Thanks again Pete for getting me the replacement cap so soon. I spent all night last night trying to get it started. I followed your instructions to a T but it's not idling. I get it to turn over but runs really rough and will die after about thirty seconds. I left everything else the same. I've got spark on both plugs. Can you guys think of any reason why it would start and idle before with the copper cap and then when I switched to the ally cap it stopped idling? I'm going to try the separate battery test tonight or tomorrow since I'm running a sparx capacitor. Any thing else you guys suggest to help get her going? Thanks again for all the help.

I suppose it's possible the new cap has locked the ignition into a slightly different position than the old copper one was doing. So maybe the timing has changed a little. You might try moving the Pamco timing plate a little one way or the other and see if that helps any. Remember, once running, you will want to verify your timing setting with a timing light. The suggested install point for the timing plate is just an "in the ball park" setting so the bike will fire up.

Zombi,

The ignition system just provides a spark. If you are getting a spark and the timing is correct, that is all there is. Did you check the timing with a timing light? As 5twins said, the recommended position for the plate is just to get the engine started. You must use a timing light to set the timing.

In is very important that you install the PAMCO rotor on the advance rod first, before inserting the rod into the cam cavity. Then you install the aluminum cap that replaces the advancer. There are two locating pins that must be in their respective slots in the aluminum cap. One is in the cam and the other is on the end of the advance rod. After installing the aluminum cap, there should not be any movement at all of the advance rod, PAMCO rotor or aluminum cap. Absolutely no movement. The E-Advancer takes the place of the mechanical advancer so there is no mechanical movement at all.

For best results, substitute a fully charged battery to power the PAMCO when setting the timing with the timing light.

Remember that the ignition system just provides a spark. You could have something else wrong with the engine, such as the carbs. Also, be sure that the headlight is off when starting the engine after you have set the timing with the stand alone battery.

Back