Pamco help!!!

4stroke

4stroke
Reaction score
When turning key off and on its throwing a spark across plug!!! Pamco is a real simple install but I can't figure out why it's doing that if I run the motor shut it off then just cycle key on and off it will actually fire whatever air fuel is left in combustion chamber????

is your engine firing when you turn the key on? i have a pamco and i had that happen to me a time or two. I think once i was kicking it and didnt have the key on. once i realized, i flipped the switch and WHAM she fired without me kicking it.

wierd shit.

do you have a starter wired up?

When turning key off and on its throwing a spark across plug!!! Pamco is a real simple install but I can't figure out why it's doing that if I run the motor shut it off then just cycle key on and off it will actually fire whatever air fuel is left in combustion chamber????

I gather from what you are saying, you don't have a kill switch, or you have a kill switch but don't use it. The ignition system ( points or transistorized Pamco) generates a spark every time the points open or the transistor stops conducting. If you turn the key on and off quickly, you are doing the same thing.................current flow builds a magnetic field around the ignition coil, and then you shut off the current flow, the field collapses, which gives a spark.

I use a kill switch to shut off my engine, and follow that with shutting off the ignition key. Once my kill switch is open, I can cycle my ignition key as much as I like.

You should use a kill switch, or just avoid cycling the key.

Yeah, I agree. Sounds to me as if your ignition key switch is going bad. You can pick up a new tumbler from surprise for like $10

Posted via Mobile

Ok I'm running a very simplified wiring setup head light taillight brake light that's it! Basically I have any aftermarket key switch I think 4 pole and only using batt and ign pole and switched on it feeds my 3 fuses I can't understand why I can't kill the ignition while bike is running?

Ok I'm running a very simplified wiring setup head light taillight brake light that's it! Basically I have any aftermarket key switch I think 4 pole and only using batt and ign pole and switched on it feeds my 3 fuses I can't understand why I can't kill the ignition while bike is running?

Sounds like you have the output from the rectifier on the hot side of the ignition switch so when you turn off the switch you are only killing the battery. The ignition is still getting power from the alternator. Both the battery and the output from the rectifier have to be on the hot side of the switch so when you turn off the switch, you are killing both sources of power, the battery and the alternator.

If you keep doing this, eventually you will fry the ignition because without the battery to stabilize the regulator, it will go Ape S#%@ and fry everything.

thankyou pete thats exactly what it was! i still get a ark jumping across plug when turning switch off and on any ideas like the message i sent a friend has had the same problem on his hog

thankyou pete thats exactly what it was! i still get a ark jumping across plug when turning switch off and on any ideas like the message i sent a friend has had the same problem on his hog

The PAMCO ignition is a substitute for points. Just as with points, if you turn the key on when the points are closed, the coil will build up a charge. Then, when you turn the key off, that charge will collapse and cause a spark. Same with the PAMCO. It's normal, so just avoid turning the key on unless you are going to start the engine. If you had a kill switch, you could turn it off if you need to turn the ignition on for some reason and you would not get that spark.

Just wondering why you would ask the same question, a second time, in the same thread? I thought I gave a satisfactory answer in post #5. Was my reply not clear?

No very clear thank you just gathering all information I can seeing that I got a pamco I wanted to hear Pete's explanation as well but Ty again!!!

4stroke,

Well, there are a few thousand PAMCO's out there now and plenty of very knowledgeable people who have installed them, so if you have a question or problem, there is plenty of very good experience available beside me that can answer your questions, including retiredgentleman.

Back