Pamco Ignition for 1980 XS650 Engine

Adrenaline-Junkie

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Alright, do i need the full setup for $231.95? Seems like it but he has parts sold seperatly as well and its somewhat hard to tell. Tried getting ahold of them but never got a response. Dont want to drop the cash and get the wrong item. Thanks

I suppose i could log onto MikesXS.......(it is miksXS your referring to ?), and look for a set up that is worth $231.95.

Or alternatively you could post a link to that particular set up.............................I know what i prefer

I don't know which one you mean since I'm not on there. Do you still have the coil for your 80 engine? If so Pete sells the kit that will work with that coil. You need a kit with an advance rod regardless since 80 and up were void of that. If you don't have your coil then you'll want to get a kit that has one. The only other question is whether you want e-advance or the mech advance....

For my SG, I got the whole enchilada :thumbsup:. The ignition, advance rod with spacers( what goes in the cam) and the E-advance. Oh yeah, the big coil. Runs like a track star.:laugh:...A marathon track star......OH yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhh........:bike:

650 im refering to the one pete sells directly on his site. Kinda think what i said was pretty straight forward.

Figure8 i dont have jack but the motor itself, im building everything up from scratch. I just need to know which of his kits fit my 1980 engine. You pretty much answered it though so thanks.

Azman thanks.

Ill be running this with a PMA kit with capacitor from hugh as well. Figures id need the most expensive ignitition pamco has.

Last edited:
Alright, do i need the full setup for $231.95? Seems like it but he has parts sold seperatly as well and its somewhat hard to tell. Tried getting ahold of them but never got a response. Dont want to drop the cash and get the wrong item. Thanks

No reference to any seller except you mentioned, Them, as in plural. Pamco Pete is singular

650 im refering to the one pete sells directly on his site. Kinda think what i said was pretty straight forward.

No at all

I'm thinking your getting the gist of it, just to be safe though you don't want that kit you just referenced. Like I said, I think you got it, just don't want you to get the wrong kit.

Bottom center at http://www.yamahaxs650.com/

Like i said, ill be running a pma with capacitor.

I appreciate the help figure8.

Running a PMA and Capacitor wont affect the system your looking at.

MikesXS Auto advance assembly has had some reliability issues. If you want the Auto advance assembly ,(figur8 link), then the system you have linked to, (Pamco site), wont work because the rod, Pamco pete has made is not for MikesXS advance assembly

Pete has made that rod for the Pamco kit and it replaces the Advance rod on the E-Advance kits that mikesXS sells

Getting the kit from Pete, (your link), you will need to buy the coil and leads from another source. Leads can be got anywhere and a lot of guys are running Dyna coils, (need a dual output), or if you want something cheaper from mikes the #176822 coil works well

Last edited:
Back