Pamco Ignition Question

bdholsin

XS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I replaced the original ignition coil with a high output coil from Mikes (Part #17-6803). I installed it on the opposite side of the studs per the instructions but I'm unsure which output goes to which side on my engine. Here is a pic looking at the left of the cycle:
IgnitionCoil.jpg

It doesn't matter, since both sides spark at the same time. I have this coil, but mounted on the other side from yours.

Ah, thanks dude! I was figuring I had a 50/50 chance of getting it right when I put the plug wires on. Didn't realize that both sides fire at the same time. This makes sense now.

Yep. But both cylinders don't fire at the same time. One side is on its compression stroke when the other is on its exhaust stroke. There is a spark at the top of every exhaust stroke that they term a "wasted spark."

This is interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a little residual burn from the unburned hydrocarbons that are left in the cylinder after the exhaust stroke. Sounds like it is bordering on a 2-stroke cycle.

I understand what you're saying about a wasted spark. Thanks.

I think you're supposed to scrape the plastic off the mounting tabs so the coil "heat sinks" to the frame better to prevent it from over heating. Check Pete's web site for details.

Mine was unscraped for a long time and did fine. Scraping does make for a nicer assembly since it's not hanging out in the air by plastic. The ancient rule of thumb for heat sinking, at least with semiconductors, is if you can keep your finger on it, it's ok.

I scraped it. Seems to me it just makes sense as a heat sink.

On a bright note, my order from Mike's arrived today. Did the following:
1. Installed long clutch pushrod.
2. Reinstalled the clutch drum.
3. New gasket on right cover.
4. New gasket on the left cover.
5. Installed new battery and battery strap.
6. Put the plug wires and caps together and secured them to the coil.
7. Scraped the coil and tightened it down.
8. New oil filter.
9. Replaced a few grommets for the decorative covers.
10. Installed the tapered pod air filters.

All this after I put a serious hit in my wife's "to do" list for me. Took apart our bedroom, installed a box for a ceiling fan and painted the walls. She seems pleased with my progress so she wasn't too terribly annoyed with me for spending time on the bike.

Tomorrow my sump filter arrives. I have oil on hand and should be ready for an attempt at starting in the afternoon. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Back