Pamco ignition

ruination607

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Back to the drawing board...
After weeks of disappointing electrical issues I have decided to go ahead and spring for a pamco ignition, combo reg/rec, new coils, new brushes, and possibly a new stator. I had a few questions about this overhaul...

First... With the pamco ignition, would I be able to run a minimalist battery, strictly for head light, brake light and tail light?

will the pamco ignition make the bike kick only? If so, are there any decent wiring diagrams that include the pamco and a combo reg/rec anywhere?

How hard are they to install on a 77?

Is it usually common practice to replace the stator when installing complements like the pamco, new coils or the combo reg rec?

I'm obviously a serious newbie... I'm tired of throwing useless money at this bike and not going forward with it. Figured the overhaul would ensure no roadside breakdowns,etc.

Advice is very appreciated!!!!

The Pamco is an ignition system only. All you have to do is follow Pete's directions and you will be fine. If your charging system is bad you will need to replace it. I went with the permanent magnet system. If I choose to run without a battery, capacitors only, I can. If you have a starter you will need a full size battery. Go to Pete's site and read. Good luck Tony C.

607 You will have to run a Permanent Magnet Alternator. Read the threads on PMA. You have several choices. I have a Sparx System that I purchased before price increases. You can go with Hughes Handbuilts, find your own components, or a RZ version. I have a Hughe's Plate, a Banshee timing plate and flywheel from E-bay, and a stator from e-bay. I also have one of Mr. Rigg's Cast aluminum and machined plates, just need stator( $109 new) and another Banshee FlywHeel($100 new) So I have three different systems plus the original. Good luck

Aussie I have a total cost of I think $167 in Hugh's set-up. I only have $75 into Mr. Rigg's beautiful cast piece. I am running the Sparx only because I bought it before the others were perfected. My next build will have Mr. Rigg's piece with new stator and Banshee flywheel and a Hugh,s re-phase. P.S. I am fairly sure that is my total for Hugh's system. I did post the figures somewhere on this board or the other one.

Back