pamco magnet placement

dckareem

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I was hoping to see if anyone can tell me if my magnets for my pamco are set up right, on the yamahaxs650.com front page it shows the magnets and they look to be on an equally spaced bolt circle, looks like 90 degrees apart, mine arent equally spaced, ive been having trouble setting my timing and one cyclinder back fires thru the carb, i know they can rephase these motors but i wanted to confirm the part i have is for a stock xs

thanks

Attachments

• pamco.jpg
    pamco.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 182
this is the stock one, looks like yours is for a totally different bike maybe
Rotor3.JPG

Since its off? Will it cause a issue. The dwell is not at the degrees it says on the site. I think I need to exchange it.

Nope, that's the right one, apparently it's the updated style. I had the same exact question when I installed mine, works wonderfully :)

well I am having a huge issue seems to be timed right. checked the advance, cleaned the carbs. Has great compression, but backfires through the right carb. I would think that is a timing issue. Am i wrong?

there is a flame when it backfires through the carb as well. its not blue just a normal orange flame

backfiring through the carb... hmmm... if your plugs both fire at the same time, and you're running at low RPMs, your plug will be firing during the intake stroke which could ignite the incoming gasses which could cause backfire through the carbs.

miswired ignition?

hey I just looked - dude that's for an offset cam... if you don't have an offset crank you've got the wrong plate.

dckareem,

That is the correct rotor, but it looks like one of the magnets is missing. If so, then PM your address and I will send you a new one. Be sure to use the included large washer to help retain the magnets.

retainer2.jpg

If there one magnet missing, then one cylinder will only fire on the exhaust stroke when there is a bunch of unburned mixture coming out the exhaust.

So just got back in town. Looked at the magnets they are all in place. Going to put the points back on and see how it runs. If its having the same issue. Than I am assuming the backfire has something to do with the carbs.

Back