PAMCO Noise (vid)

padgett

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vid:

Been thinking about this issue for a while now, ever since I've had the PAMCO installed years ago.

Tried different advance rods as I heard theres a longer and shorter one through the years, ive tried both, still bangs around regardless of the rod. Tried shimming it and getting it to the point where its not showing play then the advance mechanism doesnt open up and advance.

I imagine theres a sweet spot with shims, just haven't found it yet. Wondering if anyone else has come on to this issue?

gaskets and o rings installed? or just a sealant behind the housing? I am just trying to think what might be giving the extra space.

Guessing yours doesn't jangle around like that? I've been told in the past to just live with it cause it is what it is. Frankly, i'm thinking of moving back to points unless this is remedied.

As far as o rings or gaskets, pretty sure I got them all. Been a few years since I opened it up

Not gonna bother with disassembly pics. Not much to really look at. Confirming that both the brass bushings are in and seated

Sounds and looks like your bushings are dry? They should be packed with grease, or at least the outer one anyway, the one with the grooves in it .....

dhXcM3V.jpg

cc8H22E.jpg

I shimmed the excess endplay out of my advance rod. Yes, you can't make it too tight or the advance won't function. I think I had near .015" or .016" of endplay and shimmed it down to about .006". Details on the shimming are here .....

https://xs650temp.proboards.com/thread/1372?page=2

hey 5twins, found that thread a while ago and actually went ahead and got me a few shims from mcmaster today. Between .002 and .006 shims, i was able to get it where there wasn't any play and it still advanced when it was all tightened up. Very happy about that.

About the bushings, its possible they're not packed well, bikes been sitting for a while and I can't remember whether or not I packed them last time I had the engine apart.. I'll take a look at them this weekend. One thing I did want to know, is that when I remove the advance rod, the brass bushing on the left hand side always comes out and is not flush when i'm putting the rod back in. Its always getting pushed in. Is that a problem? Should I look into a new brass bushing? The brass bushing on the right side stays in place just fine.

The original set-up is actually two short bushings on each end. The inner one is a plain brass bushing .....

6Jwf9PL.jpg

The outer one is the one with the grease grooves in it. Yamaha calls this one a seal, don't know why .....

HtPm9rA.jpg

If your one bushing is so loose then yes, maybe it needs replacing. Hopefully it's the bushing and not the end of the cam.

Thanks again, 5twins. For sure its the bushings and not a piece of the camshaft. Might just order 2 of each and return if I dont need them. I've seen some posts through searching where PAMCO Pete says the bushings sliding around like that is no big deal. I don't see how that would be the case

I think that would depend on the type of ignition set-up you're using. If you're still using the mechanical advance, that means the advance rod will rotate in the cam bushings, and I think you'd want them to be a tight fit in the cam. If you're using the Pamco e-advance or a Boyer, the rod through the cam is bolted solid and doesn't rotate. Loose bushings would probably be fine for that. The bushings are only acting as spacers on those set-ups and not supporting a shaft that rotates.

that clears it up. I suppose his comment was related to someone with an e advance. I have the mechanical advance.

Back