Pamco Pete...help us!!!

da evil one

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I know you are gonna come along and answer my tarded questions Pete but just like the PMA, I like to post them on here rather than e-mail direct because if Im curious about something, somebody else probably will be too! Why do you need to test a brand new coil? This is not smartass I swear...its all curiosity. In the testing process step one you say remove the terminal wires. What about steps 2 through 5? In step two you say test between one of the terminals and center coil of the core. I dont understand what that means. Hold the tester on the terminal and the plastic on the coil outside in the middle? Coil core has me lost. I see alot of Pamco questions on here and most of them are from guys like me that probably just dont know as much about electronics as they would like to. I was asking Hugh a few questions about my PMA and along came a few people with the same concerns and I suggested maybe a PMA for dummies on his site...to help customers and save him time. He did it and I re-did a few things I thought was common sense but turned out couldve been done better. I dont know if he would say it helped him out as far as not receiving so many calls and e-mails for product support but I would bet it helped. I guess this is an open letter to the manufacturer....could you do a Pamco for dummies area somewhere and assume the readed knows nothing about even how to use a tester? Just walk them through? The online stuff you have assumes the person knows their way around things that I think arent necessarily that hard but they just dont know what they are doing and need a tiny bit of guidance. Plus, most of us are broke and really dont want to blow up our new Pamco because we felt too embarrassed to ask what we consider stupid questions. I personally have no shame:)

when testing coils you either test the primary or the secondary resistance (many small turns of wire wrapped around a (usually) iron core)

an igntion coil works of off mutual induction similar to how a step up or step down transformer works.

You have primary coil, in this case the 12v side, and the secondary coil that goes to the spark plug side.

so when you test the coil core you go to the many small turns of wire wrapped around usually iron core? seriously cdntx650, THATS what im talking about. wtf. to the layman!!!

well, if it gives a resistance spec for the secondary, from what i can remember if it's a dual output coil you measure spark plug lead to spark plug lead, sans plug caps of course unless you know the resistance of those and factor that in, or you may , like me run non resistor plug caps.

if the meter says infinite resistance, it's open, as in broken internally...if it reads zero, thats a dead short internally.

you should have a resistance spec for the primary too, same deal i think for testing.

Back