Pamco+ PMA + brand new battery+ original coil- failed pamco test

MGtech

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Today has been a long day of measuring and trying to get my xsbobber started. I have tried the Pamco test by removing the indexing pin and rotating ect. and am getting nothing.

When I turn on the kill switch the plugs begin to arc with no rhyme or reason.

New battery
New Pamco + eadvance
New Plugs
New PMA

The only thing left is the coil and plug wires?

Does this sound right?:banghead:

just ordered
High Perf. Dual Output Ignition Coil
Item# 17-6803
XS Perf. yellow silicone Plug Wire Set(2)
Item# 23-2906
NGK Plug Cap - LB05FP 5k Resistor
Item# 23-3113

MGtech,

Just a few questions:

1. What year / model is your bike.
2. Stock wiring or DIY.
3. New battery fully charged?
4. What brand of PMA.
5. Full size battery or tiny battery.
6. Reviewed installation instructions for both the PMA and the PAMCO?

Pete-

1980 Special II
DIY- 14 g
new batt fully charged
HHB PMA
tried both brand new full and tiny (I bought one for my stock XS650 and for this bobber the other day)
I have reviewed both sets of instructions and checked each wire of the loom. All connections have been soldered and shrinked.
Blade fuse box

MGtech,

OK. If you installed both the PMA and the PAMCO at the same time, then I would suggest that you temporarily wire the PAMCO to a separate battery that is not connected to the bikes electrical system so you can determine if the problem is with the PMA, wiring or the PAMCO.

Used a fully charged full size battery for this test. You can use the spin the rotor method to see if there is a spark so you do not have to turn the engine over.

Pete- I just tried your test with the same results. No response by turning the advance rod by hand. I am not sure if it is the e advance or the sensor. I would get the same erratic arcs but with no correlation to turning the advance rod

Mark

Pete- brand new Coil from mikes XS with new wires and caps. The same coil you recommended on another XS forum, mounted with the ground clamps from Home Depot. Still the same problem. Brand new full size charged battery. I think something is wrong with the pamco unit

Mark

Good luck to you I have been dealing with a defective Pamco unit for about 4 weeks now.I have paid for a replacement and have been waiting for that for over 2 weeks and cant get any response from Pamco,The first ignition unit failed after about 20 miles.altogether I have lost about 6 weeks of a very short summer,as I live in the white mountains.

Conrad,

In all fairness, I have no way of knowing when you bought the first system from MikesXS. My first Email from you was on the 15th, so I know that two weeks is a long time if you are in an area of a short riding season, but two weeks is not six weeks.

I offered to refund your payment for the second system that you ordered to replace the first but I was unclear as to whether you wanted to go ahead with the purchase so you would have a spare.

In any event, a new system will be sent to you tomorrow and I apologize for the delay.

Last edited:
Pete- brand new Coil from mikes XS with new wires and caps. The same coil you recommended on another XS forum, mounted with the ground clamps from Home Depot. Still the same problem. Brand new full size charged battery. I think something is wrong with the pamco unit

Mark

Mark,

I think I got an Email from you and replied that I would be sending you a new unit. I sometimes can't tell if the Email is related to a post here if the sender does not include the name he uses on the site, but I did get an Email from a "Mark" and I think that is you! :D

Conrad,

In all fairness, I have no way of knowing when you bought the first system from MikesXS. My first Email from you was on the 15th, so I know that two weeks is a long time if you are in an area of a short riding season, but two weeks is not six weeks.

I offered to refund your payment for the second system that you ordered to replace the first but I was unclear as to whether you wanted to go ahead with the purchase so you would have a spare.

In any event, a new system will be sent to you tomorrow and I apologize for the delay.

I'm sorry Pete,as I have driven my farm tractor to the post office a few times hoping to receive the parts I paid for on July 12 I just not a happy rider.My first E-mail to you was on July 8 and after no response and needing the bike I ordered the second unit.So you are rite it hasn't been 4 weeks,I've only had a defective system and a bike that wont run since July 5. As I had said I paid for a replacement sytem on July 12 and I'm told it is now being shipped 18 day's latter.Chances are the parts wont get here until Monday so hopefully it will only be a total 22 day's since I contacted you about a problem with your product.

im in the same boat. i had to email pamco 2-3 times to get a respond. he said to test it. already did that. he said he would send out a replacement. its almost been 2 weeks. i know how to post office works. im tired of not having my bike running. im almost ready to go down to the local motorcycle shop and buy an OEM points and condsenser kit. i know that wont take 2 weeks to get. ha

Conrad,

I would appreciate a closing post for your situation. I sent you a new PAMCO and you Emailed me that you are back on the road, but this open post leaves the wrong impression.

im in the same boat. i had to email pamco 2-3 times to get a respond. he said to test it. already did that. he said he would send out a replacement. its almost been 2 weeks. i know how to post office works. im tired of not having my bike running. im almost ready to go down to the local motorcycle shop and buy an OEM points and condsenser kit. i know that wont take 2 weeks to get. ha

Beaver,

Are you going to convert back to points? Please let me know.

Last edited:
Beaver,I now know that had I just sent Pete my defective system after it had failed the test Pete described,I would have saved a lot of time.I ordered a replacement system thinking I would get it faster but Pete didn't want me to pay twice.The replacement system work's great,my bike has never ran this good.I can slow down to 30 in 5th twist the throttle and no ping's or anything it just powers threw.As for the defective system,turn around time was only about 10 day's.Pete tested and repaired the defect and sent it rite back.I cant see you getting near as good a set and forget service from a point's system.Thank's again to Pete for producing and standing behind a great product.:bike:

Beacer,

A new XS650 plate was sent to you today Priority Mail. Please be sure to check your battery or capacitor voltage as soon as you fire the engine up with the new system because judging from your description of the problem that fried your PAMCO it could be high voltage coming from the PMA.

Hi Pete,
sent a private message to you re a what became a complete ign, coil, advance module install. I also had a question re advancer and proximity to stator wires.

I really want to use your system. Upon initial install the bike fired up and ran perfect without even having to rotate the ignition from where I first positioned it. Having dealt with electronic components I underst6and the possibility of individual parts either failing or having intermittent issues.

This setup was installed on a stock 73 XS650 motor. The bike is a complete ground up build ( won 1st place metric chopper at the 2013 David Mann Show). Wiring is minimal .

Units were purchased from MikeXS roughly 6 weeks ago for ign and coil and maybe 4 weeks ago for advance module. Bike ran great for maybe 20 minutes total test time then quit. I performed all test on site but still no spark .

Let me know if you did not get pm. I know you most likely get a truckload of emails.
My main concern is getting this bike finished (it's sold as soon as bugs worked out) so we can start our next XS650 custom for next show.

Thanks for your help

Donte7430

donte7430@yahoo.com

Well needless to say I just bought the complete package PMA/pemco system from Mikes just now and am busting inside waiting for it to show up

Back