pamco - pma with battery AND capacitor

BC-IAN

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I really really really have searched hi and low for this. Im looking at running a capacitor and a small battery with my PMA from hugh and the ultimate high output pamco. so i went off this diagram. how would i go about wiring a battery in as well? Im just having some low idle, lighting issues. nothing major but wanna see if a small battery would help, and i like the capacitor because i dont entirely trust the small battery.

thanks.

you CAN run both... We've done it a few times. Just add the Cap/Battery into your wiring as you would any other accessory. It works like a charm

funny, i was just gonna say, talked to Hugh and he suggested doing this or running two capacitors. so wire that, battery pos to capacitor pos, and battery neg to capacitor neg, before the cap? thanks for the help Hugh.

I tried the Accel capacitor, PMA, Boyer, no starter, signals, etc. Just headlight (not required for daytime running in Az.) tail light, horn, brake light. It didn't work for me. I am now going to try the Pamco with the small cigarette pack size battery. I think its called the triple i battery on ebay. I know other have said it worked for them but I thought it was a little weak. I have the triple i battery that I found on ebay but now I don't see them anymore. I was going to buy another one does anyone know a source?
jefft

A capacitor is for running the ignition and lights. Turn signals are a little much for the system. I have two Mallory 34,ooo micro farad that I will run wired in parrallel with no turn signals(until I get caught). P.S. We are using capacitors on a three phase system and they work better on a single phase.

Mine didn't have signals either. Probably sounded like it did the way I worded it.
jefft

cros 36,
A regular battery would be wired up the same way with a PMA system as with the regular alternater system that came stock on the bike. Reason most peep's go to the PMA is because the stock system can be un-reliable. I did NOT say it IS unreliable, just it can be. I almost went that way with a PMA because I had a rotor problem, burned up 3 before I found the problem. That was 4-5 years ago now.

Hmmmm, may just go with two capacitors, makes more sense to me. In parallel I guess.

I wanted to update my current system and went to the PMA. I also wanted it because I wanted to get rid of the unsightly battery box. There used to be a guy on another site that went by the name (softaildoc) who built some really nice bikes. He mostly built bobbers but he did build one cafe bike I remember and it had that battery area open and had relocated the battery. I liked the look. Some of his builds can still be seen by google of softaildoc.
jefft

Last edited:
K battery size...not running a starter. Am using the PAMCO and Alternator from Mike's XS. What AMP size 12 volt can I get away with ??.. :eek:

A capacitor is for running the ignition and lights. Turn signals are a little much for the system. I have two Mallory 34,ooo micro farad that I will run wired in parrallel with no turn signals(until I get caught). P.S. We are using capacitors on a three phase system and they work better on a single phase.

You should be careful in your wording as you've offered an opinion as fact in this post and it isn't.

I run LED turns and tail on a 32k Ufarad cap, HHB PMA and pamco high output coil and it works fine, starts first kick.

You are right Blue this only my experience. Also the capcitor is for starting my bike kick only. Sorry for the poor psy

Back