pamco position?

1976xs

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
ive read that there is a good position for the pamco to start the timing process. How does this effect it at all??

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5253

ive fitted the pamco and pma a the same time so this might make it a bit more difficult as its the first bike ive ever done.

on the pamco website is says to "rotate the plate to position the hold down screws at the mid point of the upper slot."
is this the position a few people have posted as a rough guide to start the timing for the pamco?

any hints and tips related to timing will help me at this point. thanks!

The picture in the thread you provided a link for is what I followed last august. Worked alright for me as a starting point. I double checked the timing yesterday, after having put on about 2200 km after installing the pamco and it was dead-on.

im installing a pamco and pma to a engine i recently rebuilt... waiting for the crank and cam i sent out to be rephased by hugh.

any info would help, and I will re-post once i get to that point.

Since you did both the pma and Pamco at the same time the hardest part is going to be acurately marking TDC. If you got the pma from hugh you should have gotten a sticker that would have your timing marks for the left side cover, if not I am sure you can get ahold of Hugh and get a sticker. After you have your LS cover timing marks in place mark the flywheel as needed (I used a dremel and a cutting wheel to make a thin shallow groove like on a car, painted the flywheel black and the groove white) at the TDC mark when the piston is at TDC. As far as the starting point of the Pamco all I can say is that I just put one in a fresh rebuild and the good starting point Pete recommends was spot on. Hope this helps.

This is one of the reasons why I recommend that you install the PAMCO first before you remove your stock rotor and stator, even if they are not working. Set the timing before you remove the rotor and stator. The timing will not change when you install the PMA so you can use the timing light to establish timing marks on the PMA rotor or to double check the label that Hugh's supplies.

Back