Pamco Sold Out Blues

Q Tip

mad bomber
Reaction score
Dang. Been watching the supplies of the various Pamco ignition kits dwindle on MikesXS while I waited for my overtime check to hit.

24 hours away from bike money and they sell out.

Dang.:banghead:

The coils and advance are still available. So just get the Pamco from Pete and the rest from mikes....

This might be a dumb question but why are there so many versions now? Original, High output, Ultimate High output. I understand rephases uses different.

Q Tip and Aussie Hard,

We just completed a batch of PAMCO's and sent a bunch to MikesXS, so if you need the kits from MikesXS, just wait a couple of days for them to restock.

Aussie hard,

You can benefit from the higher output coils even on a stock engine. Here is a little chart of some test runs that I did last year on my stock '81/H. The runs were each a 70 mile round trip retuning to the same gas pump to fill up and calculate the mileage. The temperature was in the mid 70's (always in South Carolina!) the route was mostly clear highway, the speed was 55 MPH. These results show an improvement in gas mileage as the coils and plugs are changed. In the last two runs, the main jets were changed to 135's because the efficiency of the engine was so much better that the engine was burning more of the fuel to the point that it was similar to running lean. In any event, it is a standard recommendation to go with 135 mains in the BS34's as they are EPA lean from the factory.

iridium.jpg

You'll notice that the mileage continued to increase even though the mains were larger.

Generally speaking, better gas mileage equates to more power, all things being equal.

The higher output coils produce better efficiency from the engine for three reasons, all of which create a larger initial kernel of flame in the combustion chamber that then ignites the rest of the mixture in the cylinder. Kinda like using a larger, hotter match to light the camp fire:

1. Higher voltage means higher current in the spark which means a hotter spark.
2. Higher voltage allows a wider spark plug gap which exposes more of the mixture to the spark.
3. Higher voltage means it takes longer for the voltage to decay to the point where the spark is no longer sustainable. This also exposes more of the mixture to the spark over time.

All of this is important because the mixture is not a uniform bunch of molecules as it enters the combustion chamber. It is a mixture of some air molecule, some fuel molecules and some ideal combinations of air and fuel, so the more mixture that is exposed to the spark, the more molecules are that burn. It is one of the causes of a rough idle because the total number of molecules of air and fuel that actually burn is different with each stroke, so the more that are ignited in the first place, the more that burn so this results in a smoother idle as well.

Other side benefits to a higher voltage coil include the fact that the voltage is higher when the battery is low and the higher voltage will burn through fouling better.

Getting back to the stock situation, sales of the PAMCO have been very good this year, about double the sales of last year, so that caught me a little bit by surprise. I am increasing production and hope to keep MikesXS stocked in future, and I thank everyone for their patience.

Yep...I emailed Mikes 2 days ago and asked about the Pamco Ultimate High Output Ignition System...and they replied with..."We should have some beginning of next week. We are out of Pamco."

Hot diggity...I'm fixin' to spend more money on my bike! :thumbsup:

Pete sorry to ask what my be lame questions.

Pete is the only difference between the models you make the coil that is supplied or each pamco is modified to suit each coil?

IMG_0511.jpg

8841.jpg

Would these be compatible with your system or need replacing, they cost $65AUD x2. Would they be considered high output? Sorry I really know nothing about these kinda things. I am having trouble with my electrics and want to understand my options so I can make the best choices.

If I buy one of your kits now and later do a rephase is the pamco upgradeable or do I need to buy a whole new system?

aussiehard,

Those are good questions, no problem.

1. The difference in the various kits is just the coils. The PAMCO is the same for all versions. The circuit on the PC boards was optimized for the higher output coils with the addition of a protective diode so if you want to upgrade to a high performance coil the PAMCO will work just fine.

2. The PAMCO requires a dual output coil. The coils you show are single output.
3. You could buy a PAMCO 277 ignition now and just use one of the two sensors for your stock bike. The 277 system costs $119.00 and you would have to buy a standard rotor for an additional $45.00 to make it work on a stock engine. Also, the 277 system uses two single output coils, like the one you pictured, so your dual output coil would not work in the 277 setup.

I would suggest that you start with a standard PAMCO plus a good but not expensive coil, like MikesXS 17-6822 for $37.50 or a used coil from any '70's Japanese bike with a 2.5 to 4.5 Ohm primary resistance. You could also consider Mikes kit 14-0901 for $142.00 that includes the PAMCO, coil and caps. When you do your 277 conversion, just sell the whole kit. I have seen PAMCO's sold on Ebay for $125 plus shipping even though you can buy it from me for $98 with free shipping ($6 to Australia, sorry). If you sell the whole kit in Australia, the shipping has already been paid so I'm sure you will find a buyer. The warranty on new PAMCO's is now 2 years and it will transfer to the new owner. Warranty service in Australia does not require the buyer to return the defective unit if they will simply pay a nominal $7 for the plate.

QTip just posted what I was about to. :) Buy away!!!! lol

Pamcopete,

I have an 83 w/ TCI. I'm converting to the Pamco and Hugh's PMA kit.

If I buy the one on MikesXS (High Output + Advance) that says it's for 80 to 84 I won't need any extra parts correct? Sorry just a little confused on which kit is right for these years of bikes.

Thanks.

QTip just posted what I was about to. :) Buy away!!!! lol

Pamcopete,

I have an 83 w/ TCI. I'm converting to the Pamco and Hugh's PMA kit.

If I buy the one on MikesXS (High Output + Advance) that says it's for 80 to 84 I won't need any extra parts correct? Sorry just a little confused on which kit is right for these years of bikes.

Thanks.

Yes, that is correct. The kits with the advance mechanism included are complete for the '80 to '84 models. Just one little caveat....the kits are supposed to include the screws for the plate, but I have had some reports where the screws were missing, so I would suggest that you buy a set of screws Part #14-0655 for $2.50 to avoid any delay or Email them first to verify that the screws are included in your order.

Pete

Back