pamco timing help

payaso13

1978xs650
Reaction score
Ok I have stock 78 and installed pamco....only problem is when using timing light to time when I slightly try to apply throttle to time at full advance (3000 I think) around 2700 the rpms rev up past...its like turbo boost kicks in....in searching around the idle timing can be within two marks....I didn't know that im at right in middle for idle...if I adjust within those marks at idle timing would that help me get to full advance mark to time? Been riding bike but kinda gargles out exhaust when's slowing...5 twins informed me I need to do a correct timing at full advance to...I didn't know that.. so that what I'm trying to do

payaso13,

I think that you may have a sticky advance rod that just suddenly goes from no advance to full advance. Remove the advance rod and clean, lube it and check for springs that are either too tight or too loose. How do you know which is which? When the test you just tried works out correctly.

Yeah the whole assembly is new from mikes...and checked that it snapsback and it does...but iI'll check again. Thank you

When timing for advance I'm around a quarter of an inch away from advance mark when turbo boost kicks in...by moving the pamco more within the f marks wouldn't change anything for timing at advance would it?

I don't have any symptoms of it sticking when out for a ride...before the pamco (stock) idle when stopped would stick..would seem to miss when cruising at freeway speeds....installed pamco misses went away and idles fine throughout ride...awesome...just gargles when slowing down or downshifting.. because I never timed it for advance just f mark

payaso13,

the springs from MikesXS are stiff. That means that they hold the advance from operating until you reach higher RPMs, so try stretching the springs a bit, one at a time.

Well, it should. Your advance unit is made to advance a certain set amount of degrees, something like 25 I think. So, if you move the idle timing, it will make the advance timing move too. Say you're about in the middle of the "F" slashes at idle. Move that over to the left slash, say about 1/8", and that should move the advance reading 1/8" as well. The advance unit is always going to turn and advance the timing the same set amount.

Ok I'll move the idle over a little see what happens..and check if springs are to tight...I still have older springs...maybe I can just use one..also as far as lubing rod and springs I used a spray I think it was a lithium grease...figuring thicker grease would stick??

The factory recommends a grease with moly in it. The outer bushing on each end of the cam has grooves cut into it's I.D. Fill them with grease .....

GreaseGrooves.jpg

GreaseGroovesFilled.jpg

You do want to smear the entire length of the rod with grease to keep it from rusting but that does very little to actually lube it's twisting motion in the cam. For that, you need to fill those bushing grooves with moly grease.

Ok I'll take it apart tomorrow... regrease everything and check springs...and move my idle timing over a lil...as long as I'm within the f marks that's OK for idle....also when I give it throttle at around 2700 rpms that's when the rpms jumps up...is that full advance when it does that

When it jumps, that's probably it going to full advance. It's supposed to be a gradual and linear progression. Sounds like yours is sticking retarded or slightly retarded and then letting loose when the RPMs reach 2700, jumping to full advance. Something's causing it to stick. Could be lack of lube, tight springs, or a combination of both.

What does it mean when lines on advance don't line up? There just scribed lines and I'm sorry I took pic but still figuring how to post

Update.... stretched out one advance spring per Pete and adjusted idle timing over a bit closer to left mark by f and I was finally able to time at advance line...rode it..no more gargling when slowing or downshifting!!! Thank Pete and 5twins

Back