pamco timing problem

buddy

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very pleased with the system.
However, I can not rotate the backing plate enough counter clockwise to advance the timing enough. With the plate at max counter clockwise I can get within 3/4 of an inch from perfect time.
Question: can I file the slot enough to get more counter clockwise movement. Note: this situation existed when I had points too. Maybe my weights on the advance?

Ops, so sorry. I did mean clockwise. Brain fart.

OK. It may mean you have a stretched timing chain or it just needs adjustment. You can also hold the PAMCO rotor in the counter clockwise position when you tighten the nut to use the play for more advance. And, yes, it is counter clockwise so the magnets get there sooner.

Funny, even with a new cam chain it is the same problem. Can I file the backing plate to get more clockwise?

Funny, even with a new cam chain it is the same problem. Can I file the backing plate to get more clockwise?

Did you try my suggestion to just hold the rotor when you tighten the nut? That will give you at least another 10 degrees of adjustment because of the 2X multiplier between the cam and the crank.

New cam chain...dollars to donuts you are off a tooth on yout cam to crank timing. Tell me. When you put the rotor at tdc mark does the locating pin on the cam for the pamco sit at 12 or 6?

Back