pamco w e-advancer timing issue, timing badly behind no more adjustment space

chefevan88

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I recently upgraded my original pamco to new plate w e-advancer.

only problem i am having is, timing. I have a light and digital contact tach, i have the pamco turned as far clockwise as i can and i still seem to be quite a bit behind still. when i raise rpms to 3000, timing mark comes to just right of the right T mark.
at 1200 idle im obviously far right of t. i have not been able to get mark anywhere in t zone

i am doing timing from left plug wire(leading Plug), other wire doesnt show a mark w light.

its running ok but some erratic idleing and backfiring occasionally since new pamco install

its a 77, pre season i checked cam chain tension, valve clearances.

had bike rejetted last year hasnt backfired since rejet til now.

let me know if theres another adjustment, old pamco timed perfectly when installed originally.

Im running into the same problem. A friend of mine did a top end job and and when we got it running the pamco was all the way to the end of the adjustment. It felt like if I could move it a bit more she would run like a scalded dog.

I agree rusty, so close to having a raging beast.

Old pamco is in/op.

I could dremel it a bit bigger but pc board is in the way on right side.

chefeven88,

I just sent you a reply to your Email and in it I suggested that one of the three pins could be missing, and as scabber suggests, it's most likely the third pin in the cam shaft on the right side that engages the aluminum cap that replaces the advancer. Also, a new 60 degree rotor was sent to you as well so if you have the earlier 90 degree rotor, it has to be replaced with the 60 degree rotor.

Also, as part of your trouble shooting, DO NOT attempt to use the sensor plate to drive the coils directly. They are not designed to do that and they will be fried.

I'm sure I got all three pins I had to file down the one u mentioned to get it to fit in the new advancer end.
It was a tight fit but I'm sure all pins are in correctly and in grooves. For all intensive purposes I will uninstall and reinstall advance end cap.

I'm also defiantly using my new rotor.

I will say that even though it's not tuned perfect yet. I have noticed much less vibration and even exhaust sounds smoother except for the occasional pop.

Ill repost later if I can do that reinstall after this storm blows over.

I'm sure I got all three pins I had to file down the one u mentioned to get it to fit in the new advancer end.
It was a tight fit but I'm sure all pins are in correctly and in grooves. For all intensive purposes I will uninstall and reinstall advance end cap.

I'm also defiantly using my new rotor.

I will say that even though it's not tuned perfect yet. I have noticed much less vibration and even exhaust sounds smoother except for the occasional pop.

Ill repost later if I can do that reinstall after this storm blows over.

The timing should be set to the "F" mark, not the "T" mark. If the timing is to the right of the "T" mark, then it is not a good idea to run it that way.

Issue was my timing light had a dial auto advance that was set wrong. Pete figured it out and I am now at f when plate turned clockwise to maxx.

This resolved the timing mark issue but seeing as this was were the pamco was set when I first wrote this post i may still have some popping and irregular idle.

Can't test drive tonight. Too wet here.

Issue was my timing light had a dial auto advance that was set wrong. Pete figured it out and I am now at f when plate turned clockwise to maxx.

This resolved the timing mark issue but seeing as this was were the pamco was set when I first wrote this post i may still have some popping and irregular idle.

Can't test drive tonight. Too wet here.

Try this: Loosen the nut holding the PAMCO rotor. Hold the rotor in the counter clockwise position as you tighten the nut back. This will move any slack in the advance direction and should allow you to back off the plate. Also, if not mentioned before, check and adjust your timing chain.

How old is the cam chain? Original maybe? Running out of timing adjustment can be a sign that the cam chain is all stretched out and in need of replacement.

I had to grind off some of that bottom plate and can only use one screw to tighten it down now because the other hole is covered up.

Back