Pamco wire extension

chief01

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I need to extend the wires on my Pamco do to relocating the coil. Has anyone done this and will it have any adverse affect on the PAMCO? Thanks

I extended mine. I wired in plugs that I bought off ebay from China. You need to have a good wire crimper to do it properly. Ran the Pamco wiring to the socket and then 18 gauge wire for power, ground and coils. Works fine.

Pete may comment on extension limits.

Attachments

• DSCN4699.jpg
    DSCN4699.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 136
  • DSCN4700.jpg
    DSCN4700.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 125
Thanks Glennpm. I believe that the PAMCO wire 22 AWG so no problems connecting to the 18 gauge wires?

NP you're welcome.

Yes, I used 18 AWG for the extensions. easier to work with especially for putting on crimp connectors!

The original basic PAMCO does not have an issue as its ground is from the mounting screws for the PC board as well as the black ground wire. The same PC boards in the XS650 PAMCO are used in the Honda CB750 PAMCO ignition and that system is crank based, so the wires have to go all the way from the bottom of the engine to the coils.

The E-Advancer is a little different as the black ground wire serves as a ground for both the high current transistor driving the coil and the more sensitive MCU, so you should splice into the black wire closer to the blue box to provide a ground closer to the blue box but it is also not that critical because there is a ground from the engine mounted sensors coming the other way to the blue box.

In any case, using a heavier gauge wire for the extensions as suggested by glenpm is a good idea to reduce the possibility of having a problem.

Thanks. Do appreciate the input. Will start my search for a good connector.

I used the 3 pin connectors that are meant for computer cooling fans. They have worked just fine for several years now. They are inexpensive and available at your local computer accessory store.

Attachments

• 3 pin connector Computer fan.jpg
    3 pin connector Computer fan.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 164
Back