Pamco

Ok just to throw my two cents in here I would go with a proven ignition first if you are not that good with new. Not saying anything that the guys on here is not worth looking into but I have built more than the most and have used PAMCO on just about 3/4 of those builds. I liked it and it was easy to tune. I have bought one of Mikes knock offs and its working but I don't know for how long or if the quality of the workman ship will hold up. I now only use BOYER on my builds . Have been using them for so many years on and off and must have installed close to 25 over the years and never had one go bad on me. No warped boards at all and when I talked to there tech line about a year ago they did say there was some sent back for bad boards and they feel it was a over heating problem on a couple triumphs that caused the board to bend. No mention of any XS650 boards but I know someone on here said that happed to them. The other thing I like about Boyer is you can call and talk to someone. Not happening with Mikes but don't know about other companies guys on here are talking about. I like NEW and we need something to full the void of no Pamco and I am sure a couple of the guys on here that like to test will be putting anything new on the market threw its paces and express truth of what they found.
KEEP CHOPPIN and be SAFE with all the craziness going on.
Rich

Some of the posts on here unrelated to Pamco are kinda sad in a way. Acting like grade-schoolers just seems like such a waste of an opportunity to have good human interaction and to build each other up rather than tearing one another down. I'm no angel and emotions can get the best of any one of us, but we should do our best to keep them in check, stay objective, and use the golden rule as if we're sitting across the table from one another enjoying coffee or beer talking about bikes. In a virtual sense, that's what we're doing. So, as my grand-dad once said "Don't make me stop this car". lol.

here’s my experience with the xscharge kit.

I got one of the xscharge kits for a ‘79 around Sept ‘19, installed it and got one flame out of the exhaust and then nothing. I have 12v at the coil, good ground, 5v at the trigger plate, but when you rotate the shaft (or engine) the green wire goes from 0v up to 3v and then doesn’t change.... seams wrong to me.
Got a new e-advancer and trigger plate, same thing with no spark.
Tested the coil for proper resistance and even tested with an old TCI from an 81 that is showing some wear, but still gives me spark.

So now I am trying to figure out if i am going to keep trying the xscharge, repair the old TCI or find another option like boyer or similar.

I have now bought one from Heiden Tuning. Will be fitting it in a few weeks as got to rebuild the engine first.

I’m a newbie to the world of the XS650. I just bought a ‘76 and it has the Pamco installed. Question - is this a wasted spark system where the coil fires both plugs at the same time? Thanks.

There are plenty of electronic ignitions still made and sold. Pete just retired, so unfortunately no more pamco brand

I Have been thinking about this
I have not read all ..but figured I could put it out here
There are People looking for an ignition ..and some people are slowly advancing their Gonzo box.. Project -- Hats off to them.
But thinking out loud here
Pamco Pete I dont know the man and have not had Contact.
As I understand it Mr P has developed an ignition
Sold it to others
Someone took it somewhere and opened the box and reversed engineered it .
And left Mr P s Business in the dust making his business position impossible.
Not knowing much about this neither the paper work / pricing nor if any deals have been struck
Or if other aspects exists.

But I have seen situations when a designer ..inventor has been " Robbed " of their intellectual Property.
The legal business side of it is to difficult slow corrupt expensive and so on that it is impossible
for the little man inventor enthusiast

To the point
Mr P has the setup ..he has the Documentation the Whole kit ..If dumped on a manufacturer in China
It would be a slam Dunk to manufacture ...something that with weak assumptions is his property.
Who could blame him for manufacture his own invention overseas.
Not knowing the story he would be in his full right to do that .or even if he was not .If a crook can do it why not anyone else
I don't think any Chinese manufacturer would have any objection if an order came.
From who ?? No idea perhaps reversed one more time No comments ...

Why would Mr P do this he has retired.
If Someone Knows him perhaps a deal can be struck .. a solid honest paper ---that Mr P gets a piece of the action
per unit sold a $ X per item
He can in theory get an Income on his intellectual property that someone else at the Moment are stealing.
The community gets an Ignition they are satisfied with.

Again not knowing the story but sometimes the electronics don't cost much it is the Know how . The development
That know how Mr P has in his cabinet..

This whole thing should be about ignition, not about yo mama did what to whom for a nickel.
Pete isn't Pamco anymore, done , over with, get over it.
There are options, many in fact are drop in and reliable.
If you want to build not buy, fix it with crap out of a junk yard, and do it for cheap, then I have a message for you.
Once again this is a personal thing. It's all about me, I don't care what anyone thinks (unless I do), I just want spark and honestly don't give a damn where it comes from as long as it happens when and where I want it.
Cheap is just a bonus, leaves me more beer money.

So with thanx to the "Garage" Mrriggs, Dave for the scribbles and the ubiquitous and insidious parts designers and manufacturers in the world I offer the path to low budget ignition. Oh yeah the standard safety warning...
J6401.png

https://xs650temp.proboards.com/thread/7899/19-junkyard-electronic-ignition
For you 180/360 types ...
https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Motor-Products-LX113-Ignition/dp/B000C83MQO
Two is better than one but if one is all you need...
https://www.ebay.com/p/75169148
Then the module
inhand.jpeg

..and the scribbles.
Schematic1.jpeg

For those of you that have a mechanical advance it doesn't get any easier.
For those of you that need an electronic advance, tach output, rev limiter, and a pocket fisherman...
Keep looking , nothing to see here, move along,

Last edited:

So with thanx to the "Garage" Mrriggs, Dave for the scribbles and the ubiquitous and insidious parts designers and manufacturers in the world I offer the path to low budget ignition. Oh yeah the standard safety warning...

Take a look at the Gonzo. Cheaper. E advance built in. no chain slop , no advancer slop, no installing advance parts on the TCI bikes to make it work Not mounted on the head.

Leave the key on? So far not a problem , I've accidentally done it twice overnight.

80-83 All you need

https://www.walmart.com/ip/LYUMO-Di...q0O8pMqthz3iCeqAqg8aAmPHEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

70-79

$7 dollar pick up, $2 magnet and 3 holes drilled + the gonzo.

Quite a few bikes running it now with good results. If there were big problems I would of heard all about it.

http://www.xs650.com/threads/gonzo-diy-tci-system.57694/

This whole thing should be about ignition, not about yo mama did what to whom for a nickel.
Pete isn't Pamco anymore, done , over with, get over it.
There are options, many in fact are drop in and reliable.
If you want to build not buy, fix it with crap out of a junk yard, and do it for cheap, then I have a message for you.
Once again this is a personal thing. It's all about me, I don't care what anyone thinks (unless I do), I just want spark and honestly don't give a damn where it comes from as long as it happens when and where I want it.

View attachment 186593

https://xs650temp.proboards.com/thread/7899/19-junkyard-electronic-ignition
For you 180/360 types ...
https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Motor-Products-LX113-Ignition/dp/B000C83MQO
Two is better than one but if one is all you need...
https://www.ebay.com/p/75169148
Then the module
View attachment 186584
..and the scribbles.
View attachment 186586

For those of you that have a mechanical advance it doesn't get any easier.
For those of you that need an electronic advance, tach output, rev limiter, and a pocket fisherman...
Keep looking , nothing to see here, move along,

I like that post. Should be very reliable. Can’t help noticing that the pickup and reluctor are near identical to Lucas Rita components. Makes me wonder if Lucas used Toyota parts?
I do know that the Lucas/Toyota pickup will trigger a Boyer Black box, but I assume the automotive module will be more affordable.
Trouble is I only have one XS, but I have several ignitions.

Attachments

• 12B05605-A228-42DF-85FD-51BBF63719AB.jpeg
    12B05605-A228-42DF-85FD-51BBF63719AB.jpeg
    243.8 KB · Views: 116
  • E7CE6E61-3E7D-4927-A0DA-007C5739BB3C.jpeg
    E7CE6E61-3E7D-4927-A0DA-007C5739BB3C.jpeg
    293.2 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Back