Parts lists don't have my side panels!

Crb999

Christopher Bruce*OSS 大名
Reaction score
Hi,*

The side panels on my newly discovered SH need new securing grommets.*

I have looked at many parts lists for all XS650s from 78 to 83 but i can't find my side panels.*

My panels have two open ended keyhole slots at the top and a spigot at the bottom but the drawings which best fit have only one keyhole slot and one right angle bracket at the top. The older types had two long slots in the top so there is no confusion *there.*

I've ordered some 9048001401 grommets from Fowlers to see if they fit. I suspect three are required for each panel but i don't know if they are the same!*

Anyone else had this problem?*

Thanks nj,

They look right. Shame they don't tell us the size. A grommet is a grommet after all!

Yes, the covers are plastic but where are they on the parts lists?

The part numbers and quantity are
90480-01401-00 GROMMET (41Y) (2)
90480-12053-00 GROMMET (4)

It looks like you have ordered the two bottom oval grommets.
The top round are different, you will need four (4).

Attachments

• side cover gromments.jpg
    side cover gromments.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 205
hi i live in the scottish borders east coast i get a lot of stuff from yambits uk also get parts from heiden tuning there in the netherlands in fact ive jut ordered from them this morning both companys have good web sites worth a look and of coarse ebay

Keeping it straight there WER!
For the life of me the description kept showing in my mind as the tin sides......spigot threw me off.
Reading it again it makes perfect plastic side cover sense.
Great Britain and the USA, two countries divided by a common language....lol

In a pinch I've used a small length of rubber vacuum or fuel line and slipped that over the metal tits that hang down for the upper keyhole catch....something that it can grab and hold. ALWAYS careful when installing or removing those covers as a ham hand can tear things up.

Hi Barry g, nj,

I didnt know there were tin covers!

Ive used yambits a lot for my xs850 but the problem is identifying the part!

I've ordered some so we'll see how that goes. I'll report back here later.

Well fuck all and you are welcome. But I'll be damned if I look something up again.

Crb999, Yes you are right. Checking all the Plastic side-cover files from 80SG - 83SK show the side-covers the same and has the front top latch different to the top rear and they should be the same as the rear and not the front.

The front rear grommet, (5), Part no # 90480-01401-00 is for the top, (front and rear), and the top front Grommet (6), part no # 90480-12053-00 should be for the lower/bottom latch.

I concur with Wer

Attachments

• 81 SH parts  Manualt32 32.jpg
    81 SH parts Manualt32 32.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
Hi Weekendrider!

I see why you're pissed off but don't be. The way these texts were delivered to me did not include your valuable information.

Saw it for the first time this morning.

Excellent thanks.

Perfidious tinternet eh?

Thanks to 650skull too.

Is there a 'sticky' section where valuable information like this can be stored?

Back