PC Fan to cool fake oil canister ???

MN_Bobber

79 XS650 Newb
Reaction score
Would this work? I woud like to mount the rec / reg in a fake oil canister to get them out of the way. But I want to ensure they live a long and healthy life by staying cool. Would a fan in the canister drawing the heat out through some louvered slots work? Or maybe pushing outside "cooler" air through the canister and out the other side?

Thoughts?

I was actually trying to figure the same out. But is anyone really having problems with heat in the faux tank?

Posted via Mobile

Actually not a bad idea... I'm not sure how hot the electrics would get on their own but if you had something like this it would help I'd think.

I would be necessary if you crammed the Reg/rec in there. Especially if you were stopped at a light.

You really should have a good air flow over the reg/rec. It gets hot.
If it cools it enough it would work. But if you have too much heat coming off all the other electrics, and the fan,inside that little can, it might not work. I just left mine out for fear of it frying.

I checked out the how to that bung king did and said spacing would do it but there is no airflow in the one they did. Any opinions?

Posted via Mobile

I mounted mine on an aluminum plate where my starter used to be.
1297468277.jpg

Mine is mounted at the base of the back down tube. The one between the carbs. You can see it in the pic under the pod filter.
I'm too lazy to go outside and take a close up.

Attachments

• bikey.jpg
    bikey.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 160
is that a metal seat pan? Man if it is that will rip the shit out of your ass/junk if you hit a set of potholes the wrong way. ouch.

I like little bill's. It's exactly what I'd go for if I wanted a slimmed down bike. I think the fan idea is good but at the same time maybe drilling a few holes in the back side would be sufficient .

I mounted a PC fan against the rectifier in my old V65 Sabre. The rec was squeezed in behind the battery with no air flow.
Did help keep it cool.

Yes, the seat pan is sheet metal and was only on for a day to test ride it. My wife made me a custom seat for the bike. About the same size as that pan, but a whole lot better.

Back