Penetrating Oils . . . INTERESTING FACTS!

Hah. I tried that acetone + ATF mix and was not overly impressed indeed. Paint thinner + ATF might work better, I actually oil my bicycle chains with 50/50 paint thinner and motor oil. This has 2 effects:
- once the pain thinner evaporates only the oil is left behind and it is overall less messy
- oil tends to reach tighter places, which is important in an "open" chain (as opposed to o-ring sealed)

Onto toxicity of cleaners, read this. I do not guarantee it's not one of those internet hoaxes, and I don't quite want to find out.

Well hi there peoples ,,and how's it going ? !!! ,, first of all thanks to Maurice,, I will be showing that article to my brother to make sure he doesn't become a victim of this sort of thing , I read it so I will be more careful ! so I'm off to the store to buy stuff !!!. I have a xs650 that has 11000 miles on the odometer but its froze up ( the motor ) , I'm going to put something in the cylinders to free it up ,, any suggestions ? ,,

Maurice Yes that article is VERY relevant to trichloroethane! Do not attempt to home brew that stuff. I think it was Jay Leno who commented that his shop guys all lament the passing of those nasty solvents, never mind that they kill the workers that use them with horrible cancers they work SO well.......

Bruceifer saw your stuck motor thread. Yes pretty much any of the rust busters and torque on the crank. If it takes very much effort to free it you might as well pull the engine because the rings will be stuck and the bore rusted. Get a couple of buds pushing and dump it into second gear a time or two, if that's not enough.............

Kano Aero Kroil is the best! I like their Kreen too. Had a majorly sludged up Toyota 4 cylinder. The oil was like toffee under the valve cover. A few hundred miles of Kreen in the oil ceaned it up quite nicely.

Back