Performance carbs

Um, I don't mean to be a fussbudget, Skull, but the VM section of the Carb Guide was my solo work. As far as fuel economy goes, it's not unreasonable to expect 48 to 50 mpg from a well tuned pair of VM34s on a stock XS650 motor in good condition . Ryan, I don't mean to patronize or insult you, but you might ask yourself if a more current and less "needy" motorcycle might serve you better.
Im 19 years old and bought my first motorcycle for 700 bucks ? Lol yeah I wouldn't mind a newer one , I just asked a question about my carbs ?

Ryan, I understand the situation. What I'm trying to say is that cheap bikes usually get very expensive before they get roadworthy. You got the bike cheap because it has problems that the PO couldn't or didn't want to deal with. Now you have to consider whether you can or want to spend the time and money that the last guy didn't want to spend. You can be sure of one thing: problems won't stop with the carburetors.

Ryan..... us grumpy old men like to pass on our wisdom and advice and put the mokkers on everything....its what us old folk do :)

Just enjoy your bike . I remember the intense excitement that I had when I got my first bike. I still get that same silly grin on my face when I ride and the same anticipation and contentment when working on them . Doesn't matter if its falling to bits and rusty or a pristine concors bike as long as you enjoy it.

I spend hours reading and researching my bikes and scoots and even more time searching for used bits on ebay . You'll gradually build up your tools and your knowledge and find other local riders to share experience and advice and ride out with . There will always be help on here for you

Hey Ryan, when my build started I was almost in the same boat of sorts - looking for the magic carb bullet - Paid the rebuilder, got a shiny piece of jerwelry to bolt on. In the end... should have just saved the money - I've pulled them on and off & had to tweak/tune so many times now, it can be done in my sleep. Bikes of this age will always need tinkering in intervals, just part & parcel of vintage bikes.

Grizld's recomendation on page 1 for the VM34's I've heard from a few different people. Your still going to need a small bit of tinkering pre & post install though, but I think that's as close as ur gonna get.

I offered $50 in private message to a seller on eBay last week for a set of BS34's he took it. Surprisingly, the innards are in fantastic shape. They need a bit of work but because I learned throwing money at an XS means nothing the hard way, it'll be a cake walk at this point

Back