Performance carburetor...

IronFist_650

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, i had a look at my carburetors today and they didn´t look healthy. To rebuild them will be almost as expensive as getting new ones i think as i have to pay someone to do it properly.. So, i was looking to get a pair of performance carburetors. TC bros and mikesxs have assembled kits. Anyone run these? TCbros are more expensive but maybe for a reason?
Ps: i did only find old threads about this.

I have not heard good things about those kits. Others here may chime in with personal experiences they have had. I would recommend contacting Rick West at Old Skool Carbs, he has an ad in the shops sections. When I sent mine to him, they came back looking as good, if not better than new. He has been around a long time and has great communication. Check him out before you buy one of those kits.

I have not heard good things about those kits. Others here may chime in with personal experiences they have had. I would recommend contacting Rick West at Old Skool Carbs, he has an ad in the shops sections. When I sent mine to him, they came back looking as good, if not better than new. He has been around a long time and has great communication. Check him out before you buy one of those kits.
Ok.. Well, i live in Sweden so sending them over is not an option..

I think there's several threads on here about these carbs, nothing good in any of them,
There are several dealers that sell mikunis or I think mikesxs still sell dellorto if not heiden tuning do.
Got a feeling the mikesxs performance carbs are only 32mn which would run fine on the xs but not as a performance part.

We have some confusion here. Both TC Bros. and Mike's XS sell Mikuni VM34 carburetors. TC Bros. does not sell the so-called XS Performance Keihin PWK32 carburetors, which are unacceptable for 4-stroke use. The problem with the PWK goes far beyond the 32 mm. venturi. It's actually a PWK28 with a bored out venturi. The reason for that is that the PWK series are dedicated 2-stroke carburetors, and Keihin offers only one size needle jet (AKA atomizer, AKA emulsion tube) for each size carburetor, and they do not interchange. The PWK28 needle jet is still too rich for 4-stroke use, however, and will result in very high fuel consumption and poor performance. Iron Fist, since you're in Europe, you have easy access to one of the world's best and most expert Mikuni dealers. Check out www.mikuni-topham.de and have a look, then give them a call. Germany is a lot closer to you than the US!

We have some confusion here. Both TC Bros. and Mike's XS sell Mikuni VM34 carburetors. TC Bros. does not sell the so-called XS Performance Keihin PWK32 carburetors, which are unacceptable for 4-stroke use. The problem with the PWK goes far beyond the 32 mm. venturi. It's actually a PWK28 with a bored out venturi. The reason for that is that the PWK series are dedicated 2-stroke carburetors, and Keihin offers only one size needle jet (AKA atomizer, AKA emulsion tube) for each size carburetor, and they do not interchange. The PWK28 needle jet is still too rich for 4-stroke use, however, and will result in very high fuel consumption and poor performance. Iron Fist, since you're in Europe, you have easy access to one of the world's best and most expert Mikuni dealers. Check out www.mikuni-topham.de and have a look, then give them a call. Germany is a lot closer to you than the US!
Thanks! Yes, i just checked them up. I will not use any of the carburetor kits after some reading and your answers here. Thanks to you all!!

fyi... heidens has a sold out notice on their dellorto carbs and have for quite a while now , was very exie for the full kit when they did have them in stock..lectron would be a good inbetween choice performance and money wise if you go direct

Dellortos are easy to buy used or new on eBay , good thing with dellorto phf carbs is you know they are for a 4 stroke, I always buy the used then get the manifolds made, mikesxs has twin pull cables ready made any machine shop should be able to make manifolds,

Email me at gary@hoosracing.com 34mm carb kit for $390.00 plus shipping... Gary

Right! Let's be clear about what we're referring to when we write about "those kits," kiddies. The VM34 is a perfectly good choice if you buy from a reputable vendor (Hoos Racing is emphatically one of those, as is 650 Central), read the setup instructions, make sure your ignition is right before you blame the carbies for operating problems, and avoid stunts like installing the slides with the cutaway to the front.

Back