Petcock question ??

Tony Harrell

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you put the vacuum type petcock in "prime" position it's like free flow right? My question is what's wrong with that for running daily? Because in the process of rebuilding my carbs and finally getting all the kinks ironed out(I hope) ...I made a remote hanging 2liter that worked flawlessly and wouldn't that be the same thing as "prime"? I'm probably not seeing something obvious but just remember ...there are no dumb questions!

Yes, prime is basically free flow. As long as the carb float valves are good, it'll work just fine. A big downside though.... no reserve. At free flow, when the engine dies, you're really out of gas.

Thanks Jim. I had never messed around w/carberation at all before these cv34's and thanks to all the great information here, and several do overs I finally got it and feel like I learned a heap in the process. I know I still have a way to go but I am so happy with the way the bike fired off today. It's been a lot of work for me with little resources, and it seemed like every time I worked on something I went away with more wrong with the bike than when I started. A lot of brittle, old, crusty, and me losing my cool! But that's all another story. Now, I just have to get my brake situation ironed out, having a lil trouble there. Calipers are great after finally getting pistons free w/rubber tip blow with my compressor, when they pop they really pop ! I do have the side panels and tank 90% ready for paint. But anyhow want to say again thank you to all you good people that give your time and knowledge to people like me. Hopefully I can do the same for someone someday! Lot of good people here and looking forward to meeting some of them on the road someday getting that awesome wind therapy!! Thanks again all.

Back