Petcock sitting low, practically on top of engine?

JAG1

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Trying to fit a sportster tank on my 80 XS and had to get a petcock for it.

Ordered one fit it on the tank and placed the tank in place and this is where she sits
0466b4e0.jpg

2cc989b5.jpg

Is this typical for using a sportster tank?
Do you some how change the "backbone" position when hard tailing the frame? I havent hardtailed it yet, just got the engine running good and I wanted to get a tank on it so I can ride it around a bit to make sure.

What y'all think??

It's not hitting the engine but it's less than 1/4" away from it making the routing of the gas lines awkward at best.

With the tank and petcock having external threads, with a nut connecting the two, I may be able to shorten the threads almost an inch on the petcock and see what that does. If I have to buy another petcock or relocate the hole in the tank it may be worth it to try.

Does anyone have any pictures of relocating the hole or how they did it?

I love the fact that on this build that there will be a lot of fab work but dang, even mounting a new petcock isn't as straight forward as it should be! Haha.

Thanks guys.

Thanks guys.

On my tank I plugged the existing hole. I then used a threaded bung from a crappy tank and moved it to the rear. However, I use the 3/8 NPT stlye instead of the 13/16 H-D style. They just screw up into the tank. No external nut.

I have the same set-up, and I just looked at it. You have way too many threads showing in that pic. No offense, but are you sure you have the thing assembled right? The petcock threads are reverse-threaded. When you tighten the big nut while holding both the tank and the petcock still, you are tightening both the tank and the petcock threads. It took me a long time to figure this out the first time I used one of those, because I didn't know the petcock threads were reverse, and I what I was doing was cross-threading them.

Even if you are threading it right, you still have way too many threads showing. Are you sure the gaskets and the strainer are seated right, and aren't preventing everything form coming together correctly?

Back