@ petcocks or One?

shafti76

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, I am building a 650 bobber and I just got a great looking "Harley Style" peanut tank. It only has a spot for 1 petcock. I was thinking of leaving it with one and just putting a "Y" in the fuel line running to the carbs. My question is: Has anyone tried this or have any experience with this? Do any of you XS650 guru's out there think this will provide enough fuel to the carbs? I appreciate any info you guys can provide.

Thanks a lot,
Tim

On my sportster tank, I cut off the factory HD bung and smoothed it down so I could weld in a threaded tophat bung for a 90* elbow to use as a sight gauge. I added another elbow at the top/front of the tank.

I added two rear petcocks so I could get maximum range. The factory HD petcock left me empty with at least a half gallon of fuel in the tank.

I have a sporty tank with the bung towards the rear. It's a 3/8 threaded bung, so I use a Pingel NPT petcock. I have a '81, so there is a fuel "T" to the carbs. No problems with fuel flow. I also have a vented cap.
Those tanks will feed those carbs just fine with one petcock. But get a good petcock!! Not some shit $9.99. Pingels are $75.00 +, but worth every penny.

How long would it take to empty a full gas tank through that one petcock? Maybe five minutes? Can you imagine your bike is burning fuel that fast?

Back