Philippines 1978 XS 650 Special, bought it yesterday

coleman2347

old jarhead
Reaction score

After looking for many months, I finally found this....1978 XS 650 vin 2FO163497

Here is what I know, Bike runs fairly good, didn't run it but about 30 miles. Starter is in-op, spins, does not engage. Paint sux, looks like the Previous owner rattle caned it.
Lots of corrosion on bike, PO lived right by the Pacific Ocean. I guess more will be discovered as time goes on. There is a leak where the cable goes into the tranny on the L/H side. I'm guessing the tac cable. It just does not look correct either.

I have never owned one of these, know next to nothing about them other than what I have read, Here bikes larger than 200cc are very rare, not so much in Manila but in the outer province's almost impossible to find. I consider myself lucky to have found it. I paid about $1450 usd equivalent for it.

Plans are either to make it semi cafe or just rebuild it stock. The more I think about it the more I am leaning toward stock. Its a good looking bike, just needs a little love.

I read how to fix the starter here, if anybody knows whats missing where the leak is I would appreciate them chiming in....Thanks Lee

Attachments

• Bike Right Side.jpg
    Bike Right Side.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 393
  • Bike LH front quarter.jpg
    Bike LH front quarter.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 487
  • More of the leak.jpg
    More of the leak.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 411
  • Fucked up paint.jpg
    Fucked up paint.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 383
  • Speedo and Tach Face.jpg
    Speedo and Tach Face.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 393
  • Front view.jpg
    Front view.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 418
Welcome to the site Lee, nice to see another XS in Philippines. I finished the resto of this 78 Special about a year ago but it still needs to be stripped down again and the frame repainted. I'll do it when I have time. I'm in Legazpi City.
Pete

Attachments

• DSCF3113.jpg
    DSCF3113.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 533
  • DSCF2905.jpg
    DSCF2905.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 487
Hi coleman, the cable pictured is the clutch cable, the fluid looks like either excess air filter oil or residue from petrol being drained from the carb float bowls.
Starter issues are common, do a search & you will find sereral posts about them. Heres something to get you started. ha ha.

Pete, its good to know there is another xs owner around the Phils, ill get on the stain tomorrow, its a heat wave here, whole family has the crud...when I got it home I didnt have time to mess with it. Thanks for the ideas where to look, more will be revealed in time I guess. Looking fwd to this bike, old school like me ha......Thanks Lee

Great bike for this country and the provincial roads, especially if you sort your suspension out. I'll take a ride and visit you sometime, only 1 Roro for me from Matnog to Nthn Samar. I've got a lot of stuff left over from my bike build so can probably help you out at some stage. Email me if you need anything and if I can help out I will. Have you got a Service manual ? I can email you an electronic copy if you need it.
Pete pcoumbe@westnet.com.au

hope your ok and your bike, i'm dodjie from cagayan de oro city, philippines. i own a xs650 special similar to your bike.. i acquired from a friend. it got flooded during typhoon sendong

Last edited:
You three guys in the Philippines should go for a day long ride and shoot a travelog album. We would love to see that. And help xs650philippines get his bike cleaned up again.

Glad to see it survived the typhoon! Nice find. Spent a lil time traveling thru from Cavite to bulan. Eating pili nuts and halohalo. Drinking san Miguel with some litson tocino and pansit. A week in boracay drinking 4 seasons with rum for breakfast.. Have some land on mt apo in mindinao. What a treat it would be to tour the islands on an XS. Good times!

Back