Picture of 18" wheels front and rear!

Hudson

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi,

As title states, can people post pictures of their XS, or bikes they know, that have 18/18 wheels? (front and rear)

I'm trying to decide on my front wheel size and some inspiration will help a lot, im building a hardtail but any pics at all would be great!

Thanks in advance..

Rich

Google mule motorcycles and see Richard's xs650 street trackers for some examples. Keep in mind he usually adds a wider swing arm to run a 140 rear tire, stock bike will be a little skinnier at both ends but with a hard tail you could probably do it.

1818_zps7fd777ef.png

Not the best pic but those are 18's front and rear.

Last edited:
Hey Hugh, what suspension set up do you guys have on that cafe? Have you lowered the forks any? I want to level out my cafe ride ,as I have a 79 special with 13.5 rear shock, the thing still seems to have that cruiser stance. I was thinking of using one of your lowering fork kits but unsure of how much to lower. And how will it effect the handling?

Here's my In-work project with 18" Conversion from Mike's XS and Shinko 705 120/80-18's

foe152Cl.jpg

I will say the Front wheel was easy to do. The dimple angles work great, the spoke length is right on with ~12 turns on the nipples. No threads showing from the spokes, etc. Spokes are usable, but far from nice. Rim is nice.

The rear was a complete fucking nightmare from Mike's XS. Reuse your OEM Rim if possible. When I bought 1 Front, 1 Rear, Mike's XS sent me two fronts (Verified by busting the wheels apart and swapping rims). I'd already had them polished, but sent it back to Mike's XS. They basically told me "Drill the spoke angles out".

If I get tired of polished rims (I suspect I will) I'll have the OEM rear rim and Mike's XS front rim Powdercoated.

Last edited:
Hey Hugh, what suspension set up do you guys have on that cafe? Have you lowered the forks any? I want to level out my cafe ride ,as I have a 79 special with 13.5 rear shock, the thing still seems to have that cruiser stance. I was thinking of using one of your lowering fork kits but unsure of how much to lower. And how will it effect the handling?

This bike has 13 5/8 rear shocks on it, and we lowered the front fork 2" for a more aggressive stance. This firms up the front end as well. The stance allows for some "de-rake" which means this bike is a nimble little sucker in the twisties.

We used Italian rims on this bike, and Buchanan's Spokes - very nice stuff indeed

What are the brands of both rims and tires?
Interested in building my '79 special in a similar configuration. Pros and cons of 18's front and rear vs 19's?

Bumpin this oldy....
Cafe-Dave or Hugh, front rim width you are going with is 2.5? I could only find 2.5 and 2.15 on MikesXS. I think I need fat up front for the flat track look I am going for
Thanks!

Posted via Mobile

Bumpin this oldy....
Cafe-Dave or Hugh, front rim width you are going with is 2.5? I could only find 2.5 and 2.15 on MikesXS. I think I need fat up front for the flat track look I am going for
Thanks!

Posted via Mobile

We didn't get ours from MikesXS. We got them from a French Supplier. I think we went with 2.5's front and rear.

Hugh

Hey, how about 2.15x19" front and rear? Any known problems there?

They are fine.
seat2.jpg

These are 19x1.185 Yam wheels front and rear with Shinko 110/80-19 705 Dual Sport's. They may make a 120 not sure, but they would fit fine also. 19x2.15 will work front and rear with the proper rear adaptation.

+1 on NOT using the mikesXS 2.50 18 (WM4) spoked to a rear hub.

Part #34-0007
34-0007.jpg

WM 2.5x18x36 spoke motorcycle rim Yamaha XS650

XS Performance
WM 2.5x18x36 hole Rim, polished aluminum.

Very hard to find new. Classic 36 hole pattern will work with many vintage bikes. Works with XS650, XS400.

This is a quality rim comparable to what you see on other sites for much more money.

Great for chopper and bobber projects.

DOT approved.

Rim Profile WM Type
Part #34-0007 $99.95 USD Ea.

I kinda got r done but spoke drilling is not even close for a rear hub. I will have to pull it back apart and redrill or use it on a front.

ggggGary- just to be clear, you think that rim is suitable for the front? That was the one I was planning on using for the front. Rear I am polishing the stock rim.

Thanks racerDave- they sure look nice, they are wider diameter than stock which I understand increases top end power but loses some low-end grunt (?)

Posted via Mobile

Back