Pictures of rd400 sprocket spacer for xs650?

Talarico

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey folks.

I have a 1976 xs650 with an rd400 rear end.
I understand it is possible to make a spacer to compensate for the sprocket offset.
Curious if anyone has an actual photo of this spacer in action?

Thanks!

-T

Sly from the 650Garage posted this up for me when i asked the same over there

you will need to do your own measurements for the space in the stock swing-arm

Attachments

• RD 400 rear wheel conversion01.jpg
    RD 400 rear wheel conversion01.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 444
  • RD 400 rear wheel conversion02.jpg
    RD 400 rear wheel conversion02.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 458
  • RD 400 rear wheel conversion03.jpg
    RD 400 rear wheel conversion03.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 414
  • RD 400 rear wheel conversion04.jpg
    RD 400 rear wheel conversion04.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 415
I used bigger bearings and had custom spacers made. RD has a smaller axle than the XS.

I had an adapter for a year but the rubber bushing things on the hub did not like the added offset. I removed the rubbers and a friend turned and tapped solid aluminum cylinders that are "glued" in place with 638 Loctite. I have been running them for 10000km with no issues.

A pic can be found here:
http://pjl.kotipolttoinen.com/random/WP_20140321_004.jpg

Hi stoked to find this pic!! this looks like the best conversion of a RD wheel i have seen yet! deffinitly going to make this my plan. Do you have any more info on how you got the old rubbers out? and how you got these in?
cheers

Glad you like it! I removed the rubbers with excessive force, bad language, hammer and chisel. I guess you should be able to pull them out but mine just ripped off the inner part and the outer sleeve was stuck in the hole. Be careful while hammering. I almost ruined the shoulder on the bottom of the holes where the rubbers sit.

The new bushing were (if I remember correctly) 30mm solid "aircraft grade" aluminum bar that was a tight slip fit to the holes. The Loctite 638 should be more than strong enough to hold them in place. Threads were 12mm "fine thread".

Pekka

Cheers do you remember the thread size you put in the wheel and on the outside of the rod? And how did you get them to all sit flush or level?

I think it was the same pitch as the original studs on the rubber bushings. Don't remember the exact number.
The new bushings sit on a lip/shoulder in the bottom of the holes. However one bushing ended up being a bit lower than the others so it might be a good idea to bolt on a sprocket to hold them level while the 638 dries.

Back