Pilot box/indicator lights delete (and some other stuff)

79josh81

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I've been searching for a couple hours now on random stuff to slim down my electrical wiring for my bobber build. I plan on running no flashers/blinkers/turn-signals (will use my hands for now). I want to delete the reserve lighting unit, the flasher cancelling unit, the light checker, and the pilot box (the 3 warning lights) between the tach and speedo. Here's where I'm at so far from my research:

*Reserve Lighing Unit delete - jumper the blue/yellow and blue/black wires together at the plug which will bypass the unit and return power to head lamp.
*Flasher Cancelling Unit delete - just unplug it, no jumper wires needed.
*Light Checker delete - jumper the blue/yellow to blue wires together at the plug which will continue feeding power to the tail light.
*Pilot Box/warning lights delete - ???

Can I just unplug the pilot box/warning lights without affecting any other system when removing it or do I need to jumper anything??? I searched forever and wasn't able to hit on what I needed.

Also, if I get rid of all of these things, can I just take the unused wires from these units back through the entire wiring harness and either remove them completely or cap them off at the next junction they're connected to???

Also let me know if I'm right with my current research as far as how I should go about deleting the things above. (If you're super xs650 electrical savy...talk in small words please....because I'm not there yet.) Thanks in advance guys.

Headlight bucket pic is from a 78SE The sky blue wire separate from the connector is included in the 81SH/H connector as per the diagram....Should have no trouble disconnecting the tower connector........Your cluster should look like this
Found some of my pics on Payed sites hence the extra writing.......all good for site and personal use....

Disconnect Tower - Indicators Text copy.jpg 81_ XS650H_ SH Text.jpg01111_1eLQ1OCQpiC_600x450.jpg

Last edited:
My bike is a 79' so my neutral and high beam indicator light is in the tach. My pilot box has the turn signal, head lamp failure, and tail/brake failure indicator lights. So if I just disconnect the pilot box no other components will be affected?
wiringdiagram79_XS650SF&2F.PNG

Also, do my jumper connections on the other things I want to get rid of look correct to you guys?

Last edited:
i like to revive dead things.... how did removing the pilot box go? im in the same boat im betting these intersect and send power other places?

Back