pilot jets

swbill

Slacker garage shop
Reaction score
Easy question. If a carb has a bleed type pilot jet do you have to replace it with a bleed type?

As long as the orifice in the jet is in the right place the bleed holes won't matter to much. If the jet you take out has the orifice up by the threads the replacement should be the same.
The jets with the bleed holes may mix the air and fuel slightly better. Enough to worry about, I don't think so.
Leo

Actually, it depends on the carb. The 34s need bleed holes, the 38s do not.

Yes, that needs the holes. It's not a problem really, though, because pretty much all you can readily get are the ones with holes. In your case, VM22/210 style w/ bleed holes.

This all has to do with how the pilots mount and how fuel and air is delivered to them. Your VMs mount the pilot up into the main body in what is considered the "normal" fashion. Fuel is drawn up through the screw slot end of the jet from the bowl and air is delivered to the side to mix with it. That's why you need the bleed holes, to allow the air to mix in. The BS34s mount their pilots in a similar manner and get their air the same way so they need the bleed holes, too.

Well that could be my problem with it being so jerky at low rpms. I didn't realized that the pilot I bought doesn't have the holes. Just noticed today and ordered up a new one. Thanks that is a big help.

Yes, that very well could be the problem. Make sure you're getting the proper type of pilot as well .....

650PilotJets.jpg

Back