please help asap...cam chain problems during rebuild

MButler37

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok so i recently took apart my 79 xs motor and decided to do a rebuild. im in the stages of putting back together and have set several gaskets with sealer.but i put the cam in and the chain is about 6 links short. ive tried working slack out of it and made sure the guide is in right. please help

The only way it could be that short is if it's the wrong chain or if you have several links bunched up down inside under the crank sprocket. Roll the engine back and forth while pulling up on the chain ends and you should be able to get the kinks out if that is the problem. You can also look up from underneath and see the area below the crank (and look for kinks) if you pull the sump plate off.

ok thanks for the help. i deff had a dumb moment. when i was putting the enging back together i dropped the chain and fished it back out but fished it not around the sprocket but the block under the crank sprocket. hence the six links lol. thanks for the help 5twins

I don't know about that, pyroman; while a chain stretcher can be had for a pretty reasonable buck, it's usually not good for much more than one full link. Six links would take a chain expander--haven't seen one of those for under $500 in good used condition. That's a lot to pay for a rarely-used tool, so it's probably a good idea to call a few shops and see what they charge to expand a chain.

shh that's only for MY bikes... don't want to wear out one of those "unobtainable" expanders....

Back