PLEASE! Help me out gents! (and ladies)

stuntdouble

Contract Killer
Reaction score
Im working my way through what I hope will just be a top end rebuild but Im kinda stuck/stumped. I searched but found nothing dealing with my specific question. Behind the advance apparatus on the right side of the motor, is the advance retainer nut. The Clymers manual says to use a punch and a soft mallet to remove said nut but the PO did a number re-installing it. So much so that some of the "cogs" on the nut are starting to mushroom close to the point of shearing off or being so malformed that re-installation would be almost impossible. The picture in the manual appears to show that the nut is not reversed thread so Im good there. I just cant get it to budge without doing the same "mushroom" damage in the opposite direction. I assume a penetrating fluid would be ok to spray around in there because most of it will be coming out and cleaned and re-lubed when re-assembled, but what do I do if I cant get it out without just utterly destroying the nut? Or do so much damage that I have no good spot to get a bite on the nut with the punch? I assume that the logical answer would be to give it hell and just replace the nut. I guess what Im asking is... HOW IN THE HOLY GOOD GOD HELL DO I GET THIS SOM-MA-MA-BITCH OUT?!?!?! :banghead:

Thanks in advance for any tips y'all have!

The good news is;

Auto Advance Retainer Nut

14-0654.jpg

Ignition auto advance Retainer Nut. Holds advance unit to Camshaft end.
Cogged Nut to replaced damaged original nut.

Fits: All 650's 1970-84
Part #14-0654
$9.00 USD Set

If you REALLY want to try to save it go get a pipe nipple and start grinding till it fits all the tangs, drill through the other end of the nipple to fit a bar and the nut will come off. Or take a piece of flat stock grind, till it fits two opposite tangs put an adjustable wrench on it remove.

Oops sorry, I am NO gentleman.

Back