please help no SPARK!!!

feedman80

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Somebody please help buildin a bobber 1982 heritage special replaced coil and tci unit no spark wiring is a little goofed when i got the bike but i had it runnin on the bench a week ago now it sat for 3 to four days and now no spark i did nothin to to it it was runnin now i changed coil and tci and cant make it fire voltage regulatr tests good on ohm meter and pickup coil too what am i missing? Somebody please help

It could be a bunch of things. If the coil is getting power check the plugs and the gaps. Make sure the battery is also good still.

here is my problem i have a brand new battery, and there is a full 12 volts giong to the coil i have power goin everywhere the should be power and yet no spark?

Make sure the TCI box black wire is grounded. Is there definitely 12V at the TCI box power wire?

Also, an '82 MIGHT have the kickstand ignition kill. That keeps the bike from starting if the sidestand is down. Make sure it's not the problem. It's not hard to bypass if you think that's where the problem is.

Threads about TCI box pinouts: http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13512&highlight=sidestand+kill+switch
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7265&highlight=sidestand+kill+switch

yea my sidestand relay is already bypassed, but the black wire from my tci box is not grounded and showing 12 volts like its a power wire it needs to be grounded and if so why would it have power ???

yea my sidestand relay is already bypassed, but the black wire from my tci box is not grounded and showing 12 volts like its a power wire it needs to be grounded and if so why would it have power ???

Electricity always has to start at the positive battery terminal and return to the negative terminal in a complete circle. power goes into the TCI box via the red/white wire, through all the various bits inside, then goes back out through the ground wire to the frame of the bike and from the frame to the negative battery terminal. So yeah if the black ground wire is not connected and you use a voltmeter on it it will show 12V because the voltmeter completes the circuit.

Back