PMA alternative

zurek4

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
as you have seen my posts on trying to get my yamaha 81 xs650 special 2 started, its had problems being that its been sitting for 12 years. My battery wont keep a continous charge and the battery is brand new, the alternator was alittle rusty and i tried sanding it away, and its still not putting our 13-13.5 volts when i rev it to 3k rpm. Its the PMA system worth it, cause this electrical system is really making me mad?

Why didn't you test the charging system and get back to the members when they asked you to. You were getting help, refused to cooperate and now are asking questions relating to a charging system in another NEW thread.

:banghead::confused::shrug::banghead:

Last edited:
Get one. Harbor Freight has VM's dirt cheap.

i did test the charging system, the battery is at 12.5 v, i dont have voltmeter

No, you did not test the charging system. You need a voltmeter to do that.

Just as 650Skull has pointed out, its not smart to ignore everyone's advice in your previous thread, and then start a new thread with the same problem.

Your previous thread contains good instructions that will lead you to finding out the root cause of your problem. If you continue to ignore those instructions, then you will continue to have a dead battery, and also the lads on the site will stop offering any more help.

Chances are quite good that your stock alternator just needs a few repairs/parts. The stock alternator is a very well built unit, that has survived for many years in spite of the torture treatment given it by its owners.

Back