PMA, Pamco, Rebuild Trouble Shooting Sequence (No start)

mvonwahlde

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, so first basket case project is (hopefully) drawing to a close. This is where we stand... checking ignition and not starting. Here is the breakdown. I need to troubleshoot and wanted to do so in a linear, logical manner... can someone tell me if I'm in the right direction

Details:
Engine and electrical:
1978, rebuilt mostly by PO, finished by me. New gaskets all 'round. Everything torqued correctly.
PMA from Hugh (whole kit, thanks man!)
Pamco from Pete. Installed according to simplified wiring diagram and the Pamco Website. Yellow high capacity cables from Mike's with new plug caps (NGK)
Reg/Rectifier hooked up, cables at full length for now
New advance mechanism, rod and pins (thanks Mike's XS for the good cust service)
Kick only, $1 freeze plug block
Capacitor, D-size battery size, grounded to frame at engine bolt. OK according to specs suggested.
Dual Coil from PO, unused (or so it seems), copper clamps from home depot to hold it in place. Yellow high capacity cables from Mike's with new plug caps (NGK).
Basic timing done (right TDC, marked magnet to case, Pamco fully counterclockwise set up, with chip at 2 oclock)--installed (hopefully correctly) according to Pamco site and YouTube flick by the dude with the Budweiser bike...)
Pamco grounded to frame at engine bolt.
Peripheral, lighting, kill wiring not yet done.

The problem:
Kick, gas in carbs (rebuilt with new jets) and hooked up tank.
Feel compression in kicker pedal.
Compression release through exhaust.
No running engine. No rumble, no stutter. No nuthin.

Troubleshooting sequence:
1. Check grounds
2. Check connections
3. Test for spark (how might I do this without a starter...and a Pamco? I don't want to fry it.)
4. Check valves for correct adjustment.
5. Check coil? How do I do that?
6. Once running, time with light.
7. Troubleshoot carb jetting with my crazy exhaust.

What am I missing, besides a clue? :wtf:

tumblr_lrvmlnjuNZ1qfuztao1_1280.png

Jump a battery to the Capacitor, something fully charged and decent sized. Then you can see if you have spark by pulling a plug, leave the plug in the wire, and have a friend hold the plug while you kick the engine :)

Seriously, it will work, and he'll hate you for a hot minute if you have spark. If you don't have spark, you have an ignition issue. Address that and then make sure your timing is close/right.

The capacitors are a total pain in the ass for tuning a bike, so temp/wiring in a battery won't hurt at all..

Suggest that you connect the PAMCO to a separate battery sitting on the floor and not connected to the bikes charging system. This will ensure a start and the PAMCO will not be damaged if there is something wrong with the PMA setup.

Suggest that you connect the PAMCO to a separate battery sitting on the floor and not connected to the bikes charging system. This will ensure a start and the PAMCO will not be damaged if there is something wrong with the PMA setup.

Yep, I knew I missed something... :thumbsup: Make SURE you have a fuse between the battery and your Pamco as well...

Back