PMA/PAMCO - Sponanteous Bog with throttle - Idles fine

I tried the battery test again, however this time I disconnected the the ground from the reg/rec and it still dies. Before I pulled the wire I was watching the voltage on the battery and it didn't look as if it was charging, stayed at 13.6. Around in circles I go.
If you connected the PAMCO to a separate battery sitting on the floor and not connected to the bikes charging system at all. And you disconnected the the ground from the reg/rec and it still dies. "That should NOT happen"
the separate batteries voltage should be keeping the bike running
Also charging voltage will not rise untill the RPMs do so charging system may still be working. But at this point it is still suspect. Once we can keep the bike running on the separate battery we can test is for voltage out put. I will tell you how to perform that test when we get that far

There are 3 wires that come out of the pamco red green black
the green wire goes to one side of the coil the black is connected to ground and red is connected the the other side of the coil and to the hot wire coming off the kill switch most likely. so ether disconnect the wire coming of the kill switch or leave the switch turned off and connect a wire from the separate battery from the positive or red terminal to the red wire on pamco and coil and connect the negative or black terminal to the black ground wire on the pamco. "ONCE THE WIRES ARE CONNECTED IGNITION IS HOT SO GO FOR A START DON'T JUST LEAVE THEM CONNECTED WHILE NOT RUNNING THAT WILL BURN UP YOUR SYSTEM"

Well, things got expensive today. I got excited and rigged up the battery to the PAMCO wires, I was trying to focus on not contacting the positive lead to the frame and I believe I connected the ground lead to the other positive on the lithium battery (which has 4 posts with their labels lightly stamped into the plastic) and the resulting current shot out of the transistor of the PAMCO. I'm just hoping that is all it has fried.
Woe is me. And stupid.
Luckily I have the points system still, but I've never messed with them. I'm currently reading up on them in the manual which states it has to be mounted using insulated washers?

Last edited:
Well I'm feeling bad for You.
I hope You have all the parts that go with a points setup.
I haven't had to deal with points on xs650 not going to be any help there.
My bike came with TCI then I switched to Pamco.
Good Luck
Maybe someone will chime in and give You a hand.

Frying your pick up maybe the best thing for you. With the amount of effort they appear needed to properly install them and keep them working, points just maybe a lot more straight forward and less messing around in the long run!

Frying your pick up maybe the best thing for you. With the amount of effort they appear needed to properly install them and keep them working, points just maybe a lot more straight forward and less messing around in the long run!

Not this crap again. Okay chizler we get it you are not a fan of the Pamco Ignition but for Christs sake quit bashing on a great members product. Just my 2 cents but you are not making any friends with this crap, would it make you feel any different about the Pamco ignition if all of the success stories were posted? I don't think so, just like your comments aren't going to make a difference to the OP who is having trouble. If you want to post negative things about the Pamco find the "what I should do before buying Pamco" threads. If you are not going to be helpful to the posters stay out of their threads.

I ended up just ordering new PAMCO, due to missing a few parts to get the points working. (cam rod metal bushing thingy and condensers)

I'm going to keep this updated as I figure it all out. I've never had an issue this elusive.

Drained the oil to check for any clogs.
-Checked side filter and sump filter. Side filter had about a 1cm ball worth of gunk, though didnt seem magnetic. Seems normal for these engines.
Sump filter ok, although I did find a few half in. strips of plastic. Which I assume come from the cam chain guide?

Brand new PAMCO, carb manifolds, mechanical advance springs, even drained gas for some fresh.

New coils coming this week. I have had those go bad before and do some strange symptoms. Next test.

After that, I wont know where to turn. I'm going to assume loose cam chain and swap for new.

Not this crap again. Okay chizler we get it you are not a fan of the Pamco Ignition but for Christs sake quit bashing on a great members product. Just my 2 cents but you are not making any friends with this crap, would it make you feel any different about the Pamco ignition if all of the success stories were posted? I don't think so, just like your comments aren't going to make a difference to the OP who is having trouble. If you want to post negative things about the Pamco find the "what I should do before buying Pamco" threads. If you are not going to be helpful to the posters stay out of their threads.

I'm not here to make friends or take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed. In fact IMO my comment is the best thing the OP could do. Stay with the points. And if by success stories, do you mean?...... I bought something, spent hours on XS650.com learning about how to install it then stumbled on proper installation and it worked? LOL

Face it. This forum is LITTERED with posts with confused people and there ignitions. I don't see that on the other forums within a smaller market.

Problem solved. As usual, I feared the worse and I spent some money replacing parts, yet it was something simple.
I have two separate ground locations, I replaced all the leads on the main ground, however the the ground connecting my capacitor/horn/headlight was loose. I had messed with it before as it connects to my coil bracket, which I had swapped coils a few times.
The previous owner used almost all soldered connects, and as soldered connections do, became frail cracked and broken with vibration.
Lesson learned again. Use ratchet crimped connections.

Back