PMA question, hard to start.

ann0yed

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I've just begun riding after my permanent magnet alternator conversion. The bike runs to fine but is tough to start, even when warmed up it takes several kicks. I know that as the bike is trying to start, the headlight, taillight and my speedo light are all trying to come on as well, could they be drawing too much power? If so, I guess it makes sense to put a switch in for those? Could there be any other reasons?

I don't really like the dim lights, flickering signals and weak horn at idle much, I would consider swapping my capacitor for a cigarette-pack sized battery. Any thoughts?

-j

Having even a small battery would certainly be better, it would provide a more stable supply of power. Capacitors are meant for quick charging and discharging. I might also suspect timing or fuel.

What size capacitor are you running? What ignition are you using? Yes all lights should be off when starting even with a big capacitor. Pamco,s draws less power and should start easily without draws from lights. try unplugging your lights and see if it starts in one or two kicks, if not do a compression check, timing check, plug check, and carburetor check. Tony C.

I've got a 50,000ul capacitor and a Pamco. Before the conversion my bike always started on the first or second kick so I'd be surprised if it were a timing issue. Could be a carb issue since I did do a rebuild... Now that I think about it, it did start really easily before I wired in the lights. Thanks for the feedback!

You really have to wire a switch in to shut off lights before starting, then once running turn them on. As you kick you charge the cap and it is not enough to power lights and ignition.

Back