Wanted - PMA system and ignition for an '83

Captainplanet

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just bought an 83 and she is not looking so pretty. First thing after the carb rebuild I want is a PMA and compatible ignition for it.

You realize you already have a TCI (transistorized controlled ignition) so no points or advance unit to worry about.

New brushes in your alternator and a new 14 amp battery would probably get you going.

YB14LA2 Yuasa is common for this model.

The only reason I wonder is I emailed HHB and they told me I would need to upgrade my ignition for the system to work on my bike. So is it just for the HHB one?

You realize you already have a TCI (transistorized controlled ignition) so no points or advance unit to worry about.

New brushes in your alternator and a new 14 amp battery would probably get you going.

YB14LA2 Yuasa is common for this model.
Everywhere I am seeing online says to use a cam based ignition. I'm not sure which one I need now. It says it won't use a tci

But why do you need to go to a PMA?

Is the bike not charging?

Yes you need to replace the ignition if using a PMA because the timing on your 83 is taken from the alternator rotor and a new PMA does not have that feature.

MikesXS has both PMA and Pamco available for $560+, Boyer Bradson make a unit for the XS650 and Probe Engineering do as well.

Some reading material;
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95

I'm wanting to replace it because as of now it needs the ignition replaced. This is my first motorcycle/anything with an engine build. I may be hopping on the PMA bandwagon I guess but from what I was reading it seemed like the best option to make it a billet proof bike and having a kick start only is not bothersome to me. Not needing to have a battery seemed like a cool alternative, but I'm just not sure for an 83 what ignitions I could get for a good price that would work.

So when you say you need your ignition replaced. Do you mean your TCI is bad. 70's models had points, 80's models had TCI. Points are cam driven. So you will need to buy a cam driven ignition system. I recommended a Pamco, you will need a kit that includes the advance rod.

I dont mean to jack a thread but ive been struggling to wrap my head arount that part...on my 79 which is currently points but i am upgrading to PMA/Pamco, do i need the pamco kit with the advance or just the basic pamco? To my understanding i just need the basic.
Thanks - Zach

I have a HHB PMA kit that I'm going to sell if you guys are interested.

You should take a look at the Probe Engineering Ignition. I've run one on mine that was installed in 2006 with great luck.

No advance rod needed, mater of fact you remove the bushings and the whole advance system, not required.

Boyer Brandson makes the other popular ignition, more common in England though.

Because I installed it and then decided not to use it, will let it go for $250 + shipping.

Attachments

• DSC00326.jpg
    DSC00326.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Back