Pma, Ultimate pamco from Mikes. unsolved problem

Here is where I am now.
Since it quit charging.
I have tried 3 different stators. 1 new and 2 used, but known to be good.
3 different regulator rectifiers (2- 6 wire type and one five wire)
2 different small batteries, one stock type.
Changed ignition switch twice.
I am getting over 20 volts a/c voltage out of the regulator at idle. (no matter which rec/reg including the one that was on bike when it quit charging. Total of four rec/regultors.)
DC voltage is 12.6 before startup. Lower voltage above idle (DC)
Checked, rechecked all ground connections and continuity of all wires. not one single wire is the same as when I started having trouble (hot or ground).
I have 2 redundant grounds both from engine to chassis and from engine to battery. ( engine to frame twice and engine to battery twice)
I have tried grounding rec/reg case and not.

Right now the wiring is (6 wire)
3 yellows from stator to rec/reg.
red from rec/reg to positive batt,
green from rec/reg to batt -
black wire capped.

From batt+ to ignition switch, ig switch to coil and pamco

The ONLY componant that I have not replaced is the flywheel itsself. I have cleaned the inside of it to make sure there is no rust. (today) the magnets inside of it seem to have equal and strong pull. I also dont really suspect the flywheel considering it was charging, and did for many many miles, and suddenly quit charging, like a componant failure.
I don' think magnets would suddenly go bad.

Like I say, it runs fine at an idle. give it the gas, DC voltage goes down to well below 12.
Bike runs like crap above idle.

I really dont think I have tried used and new parts, (and too many of them) that test to be good, that it is bad parts or battery.

All that is hooked up is the charging system and pamco ignition.

I did check for end play at crank. all ok there.

The oddest thing is in the middle of all this, (seemed to be a bad battery) it charged again for a few miles. It ran fine. (That battery that had just been put in)
Then the system quit charging.
That battery load tested fine. It still does.
It limped me home without the headlight on.

I am at a loss. :banghead:
Ready to change everything back to the "unreliable" stock charging system.

Bad flywheel?????

Hey that black wire needs to go to power. It is a sensing wire that tells the regulator what to do. I hook mine in after the switch. It will constantly over charge without it.

Hey that black wire needs to go to power. It is a sensing wire that tells the regulator what to do. I hook mine in after the switch. It will constantly over charge without it.

I was goijg to say the exact same thing. When I first hooked my system up I didst use the sense wire, and my voltage went all over. You justeed to know if it is a pos or neg sensewire.

Posted via Mobile

This is why I recommend that you should power the PAMCO from a separate battery sitting on the floor, not connected to the bikes charging system until you get the regulator sorted out.

It is also the reason that I suggest you wear safety glasses on initial startup of a PM system. That 20+ volts can fry the electrical system and cause the battery to boil violently. If you are using a capacitor, it can also cause the capacitor to blow up.

Ok,
Pamco and coil hooked to seperate battery.
Runs fine.
Black wire hooked to ignition switch on coil side. (or what would be)
same thing.
High A/C voltage at battery after startup. Over 20 and jumping around a lot.
Low DC voltage after startup. 12.3 before 7 volts dc after.
12.6 on batt to Pamco.

I changed rec reg to a a reg rec that I got from Hugh new.
it is a 5 wire. (3 yellow, one red one green) 3 yellow to stator. Red to hot, green to neg at battery.
Just to be sure, hooked bike charging system to friends harley battery.
dc voltage drops after startup. same ac voltage as with 6 wire.

I have seen on one occassion a flywheel go bad, where it just wouldn't run, with a pma system.

I am changing it back to stock battery, and charging system, as I had a underhood fire on my car last night on the way home from working on the bike. It did major damage. a less than one month old fuel line had a pinhole in it. Glad I had a fire extinguisher.
I need the bike tomorrow as I have no other transportation.

Back