Pod Filters

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
It has been noted here multiple times that some pod filters have a shoulder on the inside that blocks critical air vents on CV carbs.

Can someone point me to a brand/model that WILL work with CV carbs?

It has been noted here multiple times that some pod filters have a shoulder on the inside that blocks critical air vents on CV carbs.

Can someone point me to a brand/model that WILL work with CV carbs?
Hi DE,
I used genuine K&N ones which do not block any openings; but changed to UNI filters for much improved the fueling.
Pictures tomorrow..

Taffy running K&N filters:

DSCF1462.2.JPG

Now with Uni Pods as recommended by 5T:

IMG_0142.2.jpeg

I prefer the look of the K&N set up; but the UNI kit bike runs much better.

So I have seen the UNI filters run w/ or without the red outer sleeves.
Whats the difference and do both require re jetting?
When I thought I had a fuel mixture issue from my stock filters wrapped in uni filter, I purchased the Uni pods w/ red outer sleeves and some main jets but got the bike running good w/o them. I would like to use the UNI filters one day once bike is stable cause they are easier to deal with than the air boxes.

I haven't found the pods to be that bad in the rain. Granted, in a heavy downpour when you come to a stop, the bike may run rough and want to stall unless you keep it going with throttle blips, but once underway, it seems the rain blows by and the bike runs OK. Now, this is with side covers installed, totally open with no covers might be a different thing.

This is the only down side I've found to running pods, but I think the pluses far out weigh it so I'm willing to put up with it. I don't ride in the rain very much (if I can help it, lol) so it's mostly a non-issue for me.

Normally, we run the 4" long UP-4200 (2" I.D.) on the BS38s and the UP-4229 (2 1/4" I.D.) on the BS34s. Believe it or not, the BS34s have a larger intake bell than the 38s, hence the need for the different filter. Get the longest filter that will fit. On the 650s, that's the 4" long one .....

Uni Pod.jpg

Here's a link listing sizes and part numbers .....

https://unifilter.com/online-catalog/clamp-on-air-filters/

No need for the special foam filter oil either. It's actually too thick and can clog the fine black foam. Instead, just use a 50-50 mix of gas and motor oil ......

UNIsOiled.jpg

I tried with and without the red sleeve and it made no difference.
It looks better to me with the red sleeve. I ‘oiled’ up the foam with 50/50 engine oil mixed with petrol. The recommended oil is way to thick and messy.

Whats the difference and do both require re jetting?
When I thought I had a fuel mixture issue from my stock filters wrapped in uni filter, I purchased the Uni pods w/ red outer sleeves and some main jets but got the bike running good w/o them. I would like to use the UNI filters one day once bike is stable cause they are easier to deal with than the air boxes.
An intake change on a stock bike MAY not need rejetting. Only you the owner can tell with how it runs and what the plugs may indicate.

Don't get caught in the rain with exposed pods. cuz you'll soon be sitting roadside.

I haven't found the pods to be that bad in the rain. Granted, in a heavy downpour when you come to a stop, the bike may run rough and want to stall unless you keep it going with throttle blips, but once underway, it seems the rain blows by and the bike runs OK. Now, this is with side covers installed, totally open with no covers might be a different thing.

This is the only down side I've found to running pods, but I think the pluses far out weigh it so I'm willing to put up with it. I don't ride in the rain very much (if I can help it, lol) so it's mostly a non-issue for me.
Yes EXPOSED pods, I've spent many fine miles in the rain on madness. @GLJ
When asked how it's going I say; fine, just FINE!

Last edited:
Hey Adam great looker there! What's that rear wheel set up from?
Sorry to :hijack: this pod thread.
Rear hub is a Cognito Moto adapted for disc conversion, alloy rim from Central Wheel Components in the UK, (matched to the front Husqvarna wheel), Spokes are double butted stainless steel. Brake components are Brembo salvaged from a 900 Ducati Monster. Lots of messing with bearings and spacers to make it all work. Check out on my build thread ‘WELSH FLAT TRACK REVIVAL’ for more detail. :offtopic:……….Ooooops.

Yes EXPOSED pods, I've spent many fine miles in the rain on madness. @GLJ
When asked how it's going I say; fine, just FINE!
Followed you several times through rain storms. Never once did you pull over. Best one was in Iowa when every time you touched the front brake it lite you up like a X-Mass tree.

Back