Polishing and what not, anodizing, electro plating.

It is a plating solution. From their website...

zc.png

Jim has your answer!

It’s a process by coating a surface through electrolysis

Submerge the product to be coated in a tank, add the desired colour of die and the appropriate electrical process and “bob’s your uncle”

A much simplified explanation though you understaand.

Anodizing is an electrochemical process that converts the metal surface into a decorative, durable, corrosion-resistant, anodic oxide finish. ... This aluminum oxide is not applied to the surface like paint or plating, but is fully integrated with the underlying aluminum substrate, so it cannot chip or peel.

Notice that new motorcycles have color on the forks? It was not done because it looks good. AFAIK, the aluminum tubes are anodized inside and out. It is done for wear protection. Ride your XS650 all summer and drain the fork oil. It's black. It's now mixed with aluminum. Don't change it and it's like running sandpaper in there. I believe modern fork oil may help some.

Race-Tech will hard anodize your fork lowers. You can read about it at their link I provided. Last I was aware, they only did it in black. Black anodized lowers look pretty cool!

Is anyone using an angle grinder with a buffing wheel?
I tried on my 4 1/4" I use to cut metal and tile. The arbor isn't long enough for a back plate buffer wheel and nut. Maybe I can find a thinner wheel, or what do I need to make that happen, to use my angle grinder with a buffing wheel? Or maybe some kind of back plate and buffing sponge pad type of thing.

Last edited:
Back