Poll: Buy Mike's Caliper or Mike's Rebuild Kit?

smg65

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I've created a dilemma for myself (something I'm very good at!). I've had my 1976 XS650C for about a week now. I spent the weekend working on the front caliper (2 piston, right side, rear of fork) freeing stuck pistons. But I was finally thwarted when trying to re-install the piston seals. The caliper doesn't appear to be in bad shape at all. BUT... I want to start riding this bike! So... do I order the rebuild kit and take a chance on not being able to install the seals and waste another weekend? Or do I simply spring with the extra bucks and buy the complete caliper from Mike's XS (Part 08-6008, Early Caliper)?

I would HOPE that Mike's caliper is a "plug and play" installation... after proper bleeding, etc. I've never ordered anything from Mike's. What would the consensus be here? Seals or complete caliper? I have searched the forum regarding these parts, and while I have seen a few problems, I don't think I spotted anything that would indicate an ongoing concern with these two parts. So... given the two options, and considering that the extra money wouldn't be a hardship, what would the local forum populace do??

Thanks!

Time is money. Your time spent doing a rebuild is worth X dollars and the possibility of failure exists. If the extra cost won't break you go for the complete caliper and be done with it. Save a rebuild for a rainy or wintry day.

nj... Your voice of reason has been heeded. Thank you! I won't spend another day trying to fit a "square peg in a round hole"... especially when I can be out riding instead! And besides, no one has run up, flailing their arms screaming "don't buy Mike's XS calipers, they will make your wheels fall off!" I do appreciate your response... just needed a slight arm twisting... and you did just fine! :D

I did a rebuild on my '78 -- Worked good, but would occasionally drag. Found out it wasn't the caliper but one of the lines collapsing internally. Interestingly enough, they have date markings on them .... 5/78.

Just keep it in mind you may want to look at your master cyl and lines while you're at it. I currently have a new single piece stainless braided line coming to my house for Thursday. :D

Dave

Thanks, folks. I will be checking the lines and master cylinder out too. I suspect that they're OK... but can't be too safe! I appreciate your response regarding Mike's caliper. It must be fine.

There is one thing though... and I don't want to start a "let's flame Mike's" conversation. But I've emailed Mike's XS twice, with no reply, and I don't see a phone number. That's kind of unusual. I'm used to dealing with vintage British car parts suppliers and they always answer the phone and quickly reply to emails. I'm a worrier... is this something I need to worry about, or should I just suck it up because that's the way it is?? But I'd love to know if a part is in stock before I pay for it. Thanks!

That's the way they are, the stock is pretty deep. They are (usually) pretty good about marking a part as out of stock.
And yes it's not like a little shop that loves what they do. 650 central is your goto for the loving touch.

Moss Motors isn't a little shop at all. It's huge. I would suspect that Mike's is a little shop by comparison. But Moss is a pleasure to do business with.

However... that being said. I appreciate your reply. I haven't ordered anything from Mike's yet, and your reply gives me more confidence in doing so. Did I mention that I'm a worrier??? Can't help myself!! :shrug: And thanks for bearing with me! After my initial orders with Mike's, I'll be fine! :D

Last edited:
Yep, I've had a few orders with MikesXS and zero issues with inventory out of stock. They ship out of FL and it usually goes out within a day of my ordering (Sunday order, monday I get a tracking number)

Dave

They seem to be running behind right now. My orders in Jan/Feb went out in just a day or two but My last two orders haven't shipped until about a week or so after I ordered.

Back