Pony's XS Build

Pony

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys first post (besides a little intro) first XS and I'll be damned if this isnt my first start to FINISHED build. I am an MX'er and I have wanted 2 wheels for the street for some time and am really into wrenhing and building stuff. Long story short I have 3 non running projects and by taking this xs on I am putting one in the corner and possibly selling the other. I like chopping shit up and speed and I am not really into building into a category. I have a bunch of cool ideas I always want to build but I am trying to focus on building this XS simple, reliable, fast and with cool simple lines that gets my ass from point A to B and doesnt sit in my damn shed lol. So now to the build :)

The heap my pal gave to me. Gotta start somewhere

Attachments

• IMG_2027.jpg
    IMG_2027.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 221
Got it down from north TX and started cutting and stripping.

Attachments

• IMG_9114.jpg
    IMG_9114.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_9000.jpg
    IMG_9000.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_6889.jpg
    IMG_6889.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_2518.jpg
    IMG_2518.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_2747.jpg
    IMG_2747.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_5135.jpg
    IMG_5135.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 169
bent some 1" rails for the seat and cut the coils off the shocks. when the shocks are bottomed out they are just about 10.5" eye to eye. Good for mock up, I am trying to stay on a very tight budget so waiting on a really good deal on some rebel shocks. I started putting numbers together and going through the motor is not going to be cheap. Im guessing this bike was wrecked so the swingarm is all kinds of bent. Picked one up on fleabay for 25 plus 11 for shipping. Should be here on thurs and then I can build my shock mounts. I tacked the rails in this weekend with my stick welder and I am going to burn them in with the mig when I bring it up to work to do the shock mounts.

Attachments

• IMG_7654.jpg
    IMG_7654.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_2218.jpg
    IMG_2218.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_8577.jpg
    IMG_8577.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 207
Dang ya'll are quick to reply here! Thanks for the feedback. I am trying to be as "efficeint" as possible so my next purchases will be spokes (21 up front) a small soda blaster to clean up and polish the hubs before I lace em'. When the wheels are off I am going to put the motor back in and build the exhaust. I have jumped around on past project and it always bites me. When I build the motor I want to have all parts in hand, tear it down and hopefully rephase crank one weekend, clean and get any machine work done during the week order piston and rings, and assemble the next weekend. Probably a little ambitious but its a goal. I think the motor will be one of the last things I tackle.

First question, TCbros offers a 1.5" exhaust kit for like 75 bucks. Is this price comparable to walking into an exhaust shop and buying pre bent tubing from them?

Thanks again for the replies, I am very thankful for this board. I have been lurking for awhile and this resource is one bige reason I decided to commit to this bike. Thanks:)

No leg pulling around here. Welcome aboard. I like the bike upside down idea!

My bike looked worse than yours when I picked it up (for free). Now about 600 bucks later it's my daily ride not to mention my pride and joy. Have a great time with your ride.

Attachments

• xs650b.jpg
    xs650b.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 262
THANKS- It doesn't take much to make these bikes look good :) - Pony: keep the pics coming on your project.

Thanks Marty- I'm North in the town of Sonoma, or as we like to call it Slow noma. Make sure you post up some pics of your 75 when you get it.

I got my hands on a nice little 110 MIG already set up with argon. The welder plus the bench grinder set me back 275. That kinda got inot my budget a little but I have been dragging my projects all over the place bumming welders and now I am set up. My welding hood is at my dads so i will have to wait until this weekend to really burn some welds but did some "blind" testing last night on some scrap and I think it is going to work out perfect for what I need.

Attachments

• IMG_4614.jpg
    IMG_4614.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 135
Back