Poor Customer Service in the Puget Sound...

That guy

XS650 Member
Reaction score
**** BACK STORY ****

I bought a XS650 bobber from a guy here in the Puget Sound. The bike didn't run when I got it (didn't mind a little project). So I found a shop in my area called Wise Guys Choppers, who "specialize" in these bikes apparently. Had it inspected and found that between the stator and wiring were the immediate problem and the ignition box was on its last legs. So he suggested installation of a Pamco, PMA, and rewire the bike to replace the hack job wiring done on it before. He offered to do this service for me, but was too costly at the time. After I looked into the parts, read reviews I decided on doing it myself. I'm a pretty decent mechanic and after looking into the installations it was a piece of cake. The only thing I am handicapped in is wiring. So I got the parts: Pamco ignition kit, Hugh's PMA, and went with the capacitor in place of the battery. So got everything installed and had a buddy help me with the wiring.
To make a long story short I had some issues getting it running after the work done I contacted this Joe Wiseguy to ask if he if we could have a bad connection in the wiring. After slamming the parts I chose for the install (like only he has the right stuff to install). He's says yeah something could be hooked up wrong. So I followed some simple steps to make sure I got spark and everything on the electrical side was good. So I turned to the carbs, the carbs are still the BS34's, I took them off and cleaned them out really good and installed them back on my bike. After a few adjustments to the jet screws it was RUNNING!!! It was running rough do to some cracked intakes but running none the less. I went ahead and took it for a quick ride down the road. after I got back to my garage in was wanting to die when I have it throttle.
While I had the carbs off I was in contact with Mike from 650Central (good guy) talking about some carbs options for the bike and I talked to him about the what I done to the bike so far and the issue when I got back to the garage and he thought it was being starved for something either power or gas, and I should try hooking up the battery back up to start with. After I got off the phone I decided to contact my local so called "professional" to see if he conquered with the suggestion. This is the email I got back from him:

john, what did hugh from hughs handbilt have to say? you bought his pma kit so surely you called him about this right? i mean why would you call me about a competitors system that you installed instead of buying direct and at a lower cost direct from me? sorry but i dont work on hughs handbilt pma systems.

had you actually purchased the products from me instead of wanting me as a backup only after you talk to mike in california and not hugh about the problems.......i would tell you that the capacitor has nothing to do with the bikes running.
the battery has nothing to do with the bikes running.
the battery is only a storage container for voltage produced by the charging system, a relay of sorts.
you dont need a battery to run a bike if you have the correct charging system and hooked up correctly.
you dont need a battery to run a bike if you have your ignitions system installed correctly.

however you mentioned that you may have hooked up the pma and the pamco incorrectly and that will cause all sorts of issues.
like a bike not running right. it also may cause you to repurchase those same items as they can be destroyed when not setup right.
sounds to me like maybe you need your bike looked at by a professional. too bad you dont know anyone locally? oh well good luck with your bike.
those long distance calls can be a bitch.

hHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH i bet you thought i was all pissy right? because you had the bike here and i did an overall diagnosis and gave you a quote on repairs and then you went and bought someone elses parts, possibly installed them incorrectly, and now want me to help you? you went online to an xs650 forum and took the advice of a bunch of guys that dont build bikes but buy hardtails kits, and parts and assemble with the help of their buddies and they tell you who has the best system when in fact they dont know anything about the systems that your local builder shop has to offer in comparison...... and then you call mike from 650 central who has nothing to do with hughs pma or pamco systems and ask him what to do about your bike....hahahahahaha
and now you are thinking of asking me to help you figure your bike out and if you should put in a battery or not because you think i will help you fix your bike for free when this is what i do for a profession? wow i bet you really thought i was pisssed.....hahahahahaah.....gotcha didnt i??? thanks for this email i have not laughed this much in a while.

After receiving this, not only did I think it was unprofessional, but childish, immature, and a douche bag move on his part.
I just wanted to put this out for any of the XS650 world in the Puget Sound to know. You can come up with your own conclusion on this matter, but I will no longer be doing business with anyone from Wise Guys Customs here in the Puget Sound or their Ebay store.

Guy I do not understand why you would ask for Wise Guy's help if the parts were purchased else where. Just my thought. If you isolate one circuit at a time to troubleshoot, you will find your problem.

Douche with a capital Bag.

tonyc, you have a point (so does the jackass) about not troubleshooting competitors systems, but the problem is what an ass he is about it.

If I wanted to be treated like crap for my money I'd call AT&T customer service, in the bike world I can find people who don't suck.

You should have never called Wiseguys to help with your problems after blowing them off and buying your parts elsewhere. I'm suprised he even took the time to e-mail you back.

You should have never called Wiseguys to help with your problems after blowing them off and buying your parts elsewhere. I'm surprised he even took the time to e-mail you back.

I agree, If I had customer pull that on me it would be hard not say something to that effect. I believe he tried to help you on your first visit....

hmmm. Marvin seemed like a decent guy 6 years ago when I bought a crank assembly for 80 bucks, and he showed me how to test my rotor, stator, reg/rec, and even plugged my black box to a running bike to see if it worked. Long before this site popped up.
But I havent talked to him since then. Money changes people, you know?

But, lets say, I took my car to a mechanic, and he diagnost what was wrong, and I couldnt afford the labor, but tried to fix it my self, I would nt dare ask that mechanic for help. Labor is how they make their money.(and a little markup on parts)
You just need us, and a little know how.
He is a member here.
So, Not saying your wrong, and not saying he's wrong....just sayin.

Joewiseguy is a total butthead. I too have had lousy product and customer service from a product I bought from him.

Punkskalar is like the total opposite. He would help out anybody on this forum regardless of where they purchased their parts.

Yeah like drewfunk I thought I remembered it. Searched his username and found two duplicate threads. I didn't go back and read the other thread again. IIRC he didn't get much sympathy then.

The last time "That guy" was on the forum was the day after he posted this 5 months ago.

Dick head stirring up ship to justify his own stupidity :banghead:

I'm not arguing "that guy" wasn't stupid, but the only online presence I've seen of Wiseguy besides his site and his ebay auctions has been him blatantly talking shit. More than once.

A one sentence email, "We don't troubleshoot other systems," would have been acceptable and even justified, but you don't run off on a full page rant about what a dumbass somebody is and expect to keep customers. If I had a guy talk to me like that in person, he'd come up spitting teeth.

Also, contrast this interaction to Hugh, whose signature reads, "*There is never a charge for Tech Support even if you don't purchase from us - We are Enthusiasts Helping Other Enthusiast and that is just the way it is"

I know where I would spend my money. Granted I wouldn't call Wiseguy for troubleshooting afterward, but with the way he treats people I won't call him for anything else either.

A one sentence email, "We don't troubleshoot other systems," would have been acceptable and even justified, but you don't run off on a full page rant about what a dumbass somebody is and expect to keep customers. If I had a guy talk to me like that in person, he'd come up spitting teeth.

I know where I would spend my money. Granted I wouldn't call Wiseguy for troubleshooting afterward, but with the way he treats people I won't call him for anything else either.

Your also getting one side of this......for all we know That guy called him 10x a day......hassled the shit out of him and kept at it despite several hints.

I dont know either way......but I do know half a story doesnt mean shit.

Ive gotten a few customers that were a detriment to my business and I didnt want to keep them......running off a customer isnt always a bad thing....although Id personally never do it in writing for the obvious reason.

I'll grant you that, especially about customers that you can't win with. Anyone who buys stuff elsewhere and expects you to fix it for them definitely qualifies, but... Wiseguy already had two strikes against him in my opinion from posts I've seen him make with his own account on other forums. Posts 12 and 17 here... It reads to me a lot like the bits "that guy" posted from his email. Essentially unprovoked, very condescending and it left a bad taste in my mouth.

I looked at his posts on here and he seems to have been on good behavior in this forum. I've got no real dog in this fight except for my own business, but one thing about them internets - be careful when running off at the mouth, these posts are more or less permanent.

Joe Wiseguy showed his ass a few years back when he was selling rocker boxes and heads on fleabay as separate items rather than in matched pairs (and if you have to ask why that's a bad thing, you'd do well to sell your bike and your tools before you do any more damage). He showed his ass again when he bashed the XS650 sites collectively, but came here asking for VM36 jetting for his 2-1 intake; I gave him my best guess on a baseline to tune from, and as far as I can tell, that's where his tuning stopped. Diagnosis: "Subject is technically and ethically challenged."

So did this ever get resolved?

I don't recall being asked about anything on this one, but it's been a few months. I do know that Joe Wiseguy has had a few naughty things to say concerning our work and products - and I've never dealt with him directly. Sad to hear, I like to see these old bikes alive and on the streets, I don't care who you buy the parts from, I'll still help :)

Hugh
Hugh's HandBuilt

Back